Do refurbs have higher risks of getting bad screens?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xheathen, Aug 2, 2011.

1. xheathen macrumors 6502

Considering possibly going with a baseline 21.5" imac and I'm just curious if the refurb offers have a higher risk, or even typical problem with the screens. With so many people returning imacs 3 and 4 times, my hesitation is that they just dump them into the refurb pile and ship 'em out.

2. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Supposedly no, but my 2 refurb 27" models (2010 & 2011) have had bad screens. Completely anecdotal, of course.

I'm sure some units with bad screens do go back out, unfortunately. Customer will see it, Apple receives and tests it, determines it's within tolerances, and ships it back out as a refurb. Highly doubt they replace the screen in every machine that is returned with a 'bad one'.

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Got my refurbished 27" iMac last week. It's flawless. The only thing different I could tell is the computer didn't come with the retail box.

The screen is beautiful with no defects. I'm starting to prefer refurbs because they actually get testing prior to shipment. Additionally anything it might have been returned for has probably been addressed.

4. qzxyu macrumors member

I just got my shiny new refurb last weds as well and it is flawless. I tried loading about 40 different things on it at once and got the never ending spinning wheel and had to restart it, but I think that was my fault. I plan on putting it through the ringer for a week and make sure it all up to my standards.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't think any more so than a new one. I believe it is also less common with the smaller model, but I could be wrong there.

6. xheathen thread starter macrumors 6502

That's heartening thanks for the confirmation :) I'm kinda on the fence on the refurb because its either about $1100 even through the refurb apple store or $1150 for a new one via Amazon. Is there any disadvantage from buying it through Amazon?

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Watch out about talking refurb here, there's a risk of getting bashed because of it ... Refurb has same warranty and support as new one ... and it's super perfect here, just as new Mac :p

But for $50 more from Amazon ... hmm I'd pick that, brand new and Amazon has just excellent service. You can't get BTO through amazon though

But NO!! I must be wrong here, pick refurb .. it's better due to 10 x re-inspection and QC, and $50 less than brand new from Amazon, that's a HUGE super discount :D

8. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Yes to me buying from Amazon would be the disadvantage. I know there are millions of satisfied Amazon customers but I personally have had 2 questionable purchases from them. One was a boxed software that was open when i received it. It was clearly a return that they simply reboxed and shipped to me without even inspecting it and the other was a pedometer that also looked like it had been opened and returned. And yes, these items were from Amazon and not a third party marketplace seller.

I agree that Amazon does have good service. It shows in the 2 items I received. The original buyers were obviously not happy with their purchases after having some time to play with their stuff. Amazon gladly refunded their money and then shipped these items to me.

I would say the risk of getting a "bad" screen is equal buying new/refurb or via Amazon. If you're that worried, the deciding factor for me would be whether or not you could return/exchange your refurb at a local Apple store if needed. This might help streamline getting a replacement if need be ,but i'm not sure off Apple's policy on refurb returns. Otherwise it's just a crap shoot...

9. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Refurbs are hand inspected one by one...

New is not hand inspected one by one.

There is a higher chance of a new machine going bad than a refurb, simply because a new machine could be defective out of the box, and a refurb won't be.

10. QUADDDCORE macrumors newbie

Erm, sorry, did you not read the first reply on this thread?

11. xheathen thread starter macrumors 6502

To be fair, the first person to respond didn't say how bad the yellowing was. Maybe it was barely noticeable or "within specs"??

12. OptyCT macrumors 6502

iSayuSay...you're freakin' refurb obsessed! This schtick of yours is getting old. It might be time to turn the page and let it go. How about you leave the comments on refurbs to people who actually OWN refurbs.

To the OP, the only correct answer is that nobody knows. I bought a refurb'd '11 27" i7 3.4 and the screen was perfect.

13. fivedots macrumors 6502a

My yellowing was quite noticeable; so much so that my less-tech-orientated family noticed it during normal use. Same with the dark shadow and inconsistent coloring/lighting present on the second unit.

An interesting thing to note is that neither of my returns were properly coded; the CSR just chose "Changed my mind" as the reason code. Which, to me, says that they won't be looking for specific things when they get them back, just running through a battery of standard tests.

Again, I am not saying that this is because they were refurbished, or that you're more or less likely to receive a bad screen one way or another, just sharing my anecdotal experience. I actually have no idea or opinion as to what the odds are.

iMacs with bad screens exist. You may or may not get one.

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

21" iMacs dont have the screen issues like the 27"

for me, the advantage of buying at amazon is no tax.

However, I prefer macconnection, as there is no tax and discounts -- its $1134 for the base model.

Depends on what state you are in.