Do Reminders Work Good On The AW?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by drober30, Dec 7, 2015.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

My wife and I did buy each other Sport models for Christmas. I'm going in knowing that it is a first generation, pretty slow and limited in functionality and thats why I waited for Black Friday and bought the cheaper Sport version.

That being said, I want the watch to tell time and issue reminders of To Do's and Calendar Events which my phone, in my pocket, my not do from time to time because I don't hear/feel it. If the watch can do reminders then I will be happy with my purchase.

Does AW do reminders reliably?

2. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I've had good success with it. I love being able to quickly tell Siri to set reminders.

3. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Works great. Only difference is you can't set a snooze duration on the watch. I think it default to 15 min which is fine.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The watch is great for calendar reminders. I have it syncing and reminding from three Exchange (Office 365) accounts and one iCloud account. The reminder time matches whatever you set in the original calendar meeting.

I do not use To Dos, so I do not have experience with those on the watch.

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Like a champ. I also use it to set timers while baking.

6. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I sync with my Outlook Calendar at work and use Hey Siri for creating reminders on the Watch/phone. They tapping on my wrist works a lot better then my phone which is always on Vibrate and I seldom miss events, anymore.

I do not normally feel them when I am running outdoors, but the BT music aspect of the Watch more than makes up for a few missed taps on my wrist.

TxWatch

7. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

There is also Reminders Nano app use same reminders list in Apple Reminders app, but it support AW glances and could be set with Scheduled today reminders or Default list in Apple Reminders.
    Very useful for checking on upcoming reminders. I use this exclusively for shopping list, and use shared reminder with my wife, so she could actually update any shopping list while I am driving to store or at store, without missing any, and all can be seen from AW glances, which make it useful in store.

8. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies! Great to hear all the positive feedback, now I'm really excited for Christmas morning! I love having a new toy to play with on Christmas!

9. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snooze has been such a week link on iPhone so I'm not surprised that Apple Watch lacks several options. There really should be a few options quick options (5min, 15 min, 30 min) then the option for custom with a wheel that allows us to set the duration.

I use reminders like crazy but many that come up I would like to push off for various different times.

10. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

If it was me, I would open them now as an "early Christmas" present! :D

However, I am not patient and my wife tells me I have Techno-Stress...

TxWatch

11. nicho macrumors 68000

i don't really use reminders but it works fantastically for calendar event alarms. i used it when i teach to tap my wrist two minutes before the class starts, and two minutes from the end (so i can start wrapping up)

12. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

I use reminders multiple times every day, and I have to say I don't miss any reminders since getting my watch! Making new ones with Siri on the watch is amazing too, because sometimes if I don't say whatever it is right away I forget, haha

13. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

14. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I am one of those people who sets up all kinds of reminders... both one-offs and recurring reminders. I rely on them heavily so I don't have to worry about remembering things on my own :) As others have mentioned it is great to be able to set up a reminder by saying, "Hey Siri..." when my hands are full or when I'm walking home and don't want to get my iPhone out.

My wife used to get annoyed by my iPhone pinging me with reminders, but with the watch all my reminders are silent. Most of the time I feel the haptic tap on the wrist to know that I have a reminder (or some other notification). Occasionally I will not feel it because I'm doing something that masks the feeling. Fortunately you get the red dot at the top of the watch face to let you know you have missed notifications. Some reminder apps can also be set to remind you again if you don't acknowledge the reminder within a certain period of time. I use Due for some more robust options. It allows me to configure recurring reminders and snooze or nag-me options. If I absolutely must remember to do something at a specific time, I can set it to nag me every minute and it will tap me on the wrist every minute until I either postpone the reminder or mark it complete. Most of the time I set the nag option to every 30 minutes or every hour.

Something to be aware of is that the watch dose not come with a reminder watch app. It will channel reminders from the iPhone Reminders app to your wrist. When you say, "Hey Siri, remind me to..." it will add the reminder to the iPhone Reminders app (or you can add it manually using your iPhone) and the reminder will appear on your watch at the time you set the reminder for. Of course you can install third party reminder apps like Due as well.

Sean

15. landahoy55 macrumors newbie

Welcome aboard! Took me a while to find a decent reminders app. Settled on DomoCue2 - or Cue as it appears once downloaded.

Syncs nicely with regular notes, and has a wicked complication that shows the number of reminders for that day still to complete. There is a glance, but I don't bother. All the other usual bits and pieces are there too such as adding date to a reminder, checking things off and adding to a list.

Once the app is cached it loads instantly, like most third party apps. This and Carrot are a must on my face :)

16. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Sean for the detailed response! I will be trying Due as I too like the nagging feature you could set every 30 minutes. Sometimes I set a reminder that I need to do something around a time but when it goes off I might not have time to do it then but still need to do it within the next three hours so having the app remind me every 30 minutes until I dismiss it sounds like a neat feature.

Getting very excited for Christmas morning and to play with my watch!

17. benchmarkman macrumors newbie

Reminders are about the only thing I find the Apple Watch useful for.