Auto Do rental cars have CarPlay maps disabled?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by senseless, Jan 28, 2017.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm going to rent a CarPlay equipped rental car from Hertz or Enterprise. I read that some rental companies disable the maps feature in order to rent out their GPS for extra charge. I'm not sure if this is true, so has anyone experienced this?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I rent from National and they are under Enterprises umbrella and I rent cars that have Apple Car play and they work. They can't just take it out.... They do sometimes take the SD card that has navigation that some cars use for their navigation. The 2017 nissan maxima had the sd card and Apple Carplay.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I was in a rental car from Avis (I think) the other day, a 2016 Mustang and it had CarPlay, we used the apple maps app without an issue.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't see how they could disable CarPlay's maps app since it's quite literally running on your iPhone and just displaying it to the car's touchscreen. Basically, your iPhone dictates what apps CarPlay has.

5. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Thanks; that's good news since a lot of the '16 cars are CarPlay ready. I don't think the majors are running anything older than that.

6. Classic_Mac macrumors newbie

Classic_Mac

We rented a car equipped the other day with CarPlay. Had no problems getting the maps function working. I could see them trying to disable built in vechicle gps though.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I would make sure if you really want Apple Carplay is to make sure the car has it before you leave the lot. Some cars only certain trims or options have it. For example the base trim of the civic and Accord doesn't have it

8. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Well I guess they could "disable" apple carplay lol. I know the 2017 nissan maxima only the first USB port will let you use Apple Carplay. You could damage or tape or something the first port lol.

9. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Even if they did, why not just put your phone in a mount and use that for navigation?

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I doubt they'd do that. People like to listen to their music. If I were them I'd just up charge for CarPlay enabled vehicles.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Well it doesn't prevent that. In the example I used the maxima it has 2 USB plugs which only the first one allows you to use Apple Carplay. The 2nd one can still be used got music. I wouldn't be surprised if the more budget friendly rental places did it lol

12. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Oh I see. Yeah I could see that definitely happening.

14. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

I want the phone to stream podcasts and music, also. CarPlay turns off the iPhone screen, I thought.

15. Closingracer macrumors 68020

You can use your phone while driving if you wanted to..... I let my passenger to use my phone to surf the Web and whatever while I am driving and having my phone plugged in.

16. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Too technical a question for the reservation people. I don't think I would get an accurate answer.

17. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Call the rental facility directly, they'll know. You can get the phone number for the front desk easily online or through a central reservations agent.

I used to do this all the time when inquiring about minivan availability, car seats, etc.

BJ

18. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

I've gotten nowhere trying to pin down what trim level cars I can reserve. The premium level Impala may be an LTZ with CarPlay or it may be a base model without CarPlay. The 2017 Maxima comes with CarPlay, but not the 2016. Neither call centers or local facilities could give any definite answers on what I might get. The local facilities have small lots, so there may be no other choices on pickup day.