Do retina MB Pro blues look purple like r iPad ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandude, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Sandude macrumors newbie

I recently returned a new iPad mini with retina display because blues looked purple and skin tones looked yellow with lack of any pink hue. Bought a non retina instead, happy with that choice. Now I'm considering buying a 15" rMB Pro but not if it has the same problem. Calibration does not cut it, I shouldn't have to. Anyone aware of this issue on the rMBPro please ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My color representation is spot on. Unlike the iPad, though you can calibrate the rMBP display as well.

3. slicecom macrumors 68020

You have to calibrate for accurate colour reproduction. That goes for all monitors.

4. Sandude thread starter macrumors newbie

Well no .. Blue is blue and the blue sea looks nice and blue on my 13" MB Pro, iPhone 4s, iPad mini non retina and wifey's iPad 2, unlike the retina iPad 4 which looks purple but can't even be calibrated to compensate for blue looking purple. Having to calibrate basic colours suggest they are wrong in the first place, not subject to interpretation, just set wrong in the factory.

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

I don't know, since quite frankly the first thing I do with my new MBPr, is to perform a color calibration right after I unpack it. Once that's done, the result is just stunning.

6. mac82 macrumors member

There is no retina ipad mini, so you must have bought a retina ipad. Apple gets its display panels from at least two manufacturers, and possibly three, and display quality varies even from the same manufacturer. Just because one retina ipad is off doesnt mean others will also be off, so don't give up on the entire line. Agreed, though, that the customer should not have to calibrate a display for basic colour accuracy. Calibration is more for tweaking colours rather than changing them.