Do ringtones expire?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZiggyPastorius, Dec 25, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

On many other phones, when you purchase a ringtone, it "expires" after, say, three months. This is not to say you can't use it anymore, but if you got a new phone, or something to that nature, you wouldn't be able to move the ringtone over to your new phone. Do the iPhone ringtones bought in the iTunes store work the same way? I have a couple of ringtone ideas in my head, and plenty of money in my iTunes account since it's the holiday season. If I get an iPhone in March, and I bought a few ringtones now, just so I could make sure I don't run out of money by the time I get the iPhone and have to go out and buy a card just for that, would I still be able to use them when I did get my phone in March?

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Yes

Also, only suckers pay for ringtones - it's very easy to make them yourself.

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

No they don't expire, but I suggest downloading them at audiko.net, rather then spending $2 per ringtone. Spend the money on apps.

4. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

If I make them in Garageband, is it the same deal? I have no experiences with ringtones, on any phone, so I'm not really sure. I heard you can do it in Garageband. Is it still money?

5. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Just download the iphone ringtone format on that site, works perfectly, with nearly no effort. :cool: Just add them to your iTunes library, on the ringtone tab, just click and sync the ringtones.

6. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

7. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Thanks, everybody :) Both the garageband method, and that website will work for me, and save me a few bucks. Appreciate it.

8. cshamis macrumors newbie

Your answer is incomplete. You forgot to add that, furthermore, only a sucker would waste more than 15 seconds doing something that iTunes will do for you instantly, perfectly, and legally for only $.99.

-C.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

The other methods mentioned are legal.

I'd say the itunes method is laziness, if anything.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

iTunes doesn't do it instantly.
    Perfectly?

And I lol'd at the legally.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why wouldn't it be legal to create your own ringtones????

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Ask cshamis.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I was asking anyone who's reading this thread, but since you were lol'ing at the idea, I assume you have reason to believe creating your own ringtones is illegal. Care to share your reasons?

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Unless it has become illegal to convert the formats of audio files that you already own, then there's no answer to such a question.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

The legality was lol'd at because any method you choose to convert the file is legal. He wasn't saying it wasn't legal.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ah, sorry, my mistake. Since he was commenting negatively on the other two points (he was saying it was not instant and not perfect), I assumed he was doing the same for the third point, that is, saying it was not legal.