Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
On many other phones, when you purchase a ringtone, it "expires" after, say, three months. This is not to say you can't use it anymore, but if you got a new phone, or something to that nature, you wouldn't be able to move the ringtone over to your new phone. Do the iPhone ringtones bought in the iTunes store work the same way? I have a couple of ringtone ideas in my head, and plenty of money in my iTunes account since it's the holiday season. If I get an iPhone in March, and I bought a few ringtones now, just so I could make sure I don't run out of money by the time I get the iPhone and have to go out and buy a card just for that, would I still be able to use them when I did get my phone in March?

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
On many other phones, when you purchase a ringtone, it "expires" after, say, three months. This is not to say you can't use it anymore, but if you got a new phone, or something to that nature, you wouldn't be able to move the ringtone over to your new phone. Do the iPhone ringtones bought in the iTunes store work the same way? I have a couple of ringtone ideas in my head, and plenty of money in my iTunes account since it's the holiday season. If I get an iPhone in March, and I bought a few ringtones now, just so I could make sure I don't run out of money by the time I get the iPhone and have to go out and buy a card just for that, would I still be able to use them when I did get my phone in March?

No they don't expire, but I suggest downloading them at audiko.net, rather then spending $2 per ringtone. Spend the money on apps.

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
If I make them in Garageband, is it the same deal? I have no experiences with ringtones, on any phone, so I'm not really sure. I heard you can do it in Garageband. Is it still money?

Just download the iphone ringtone format on that site, works perfectly, with nearly no effort. :cool: Just add them to your iTunes library, on the ringtone tab, just click and sync the ringtones.

cshamis

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Yes

Also, only suckers pay for ringtones - it's very easy to make them yourself.

Your answer is incomplete. You forgot to add that, furthermore, only a sucker would waste more than 15 seconds doing something that iTunes will do for you instantly, perfectly, and legally for only $.99.

-C.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Your answer is incomplete. You forgot to add that, furthermore, only a sucker would waste more than 15 seconds doing something that iTunes will do for you instantly, perfectly, and legally for only $.99.

-C.

iTunes doesn't do it instantly.
Perfectly?

And I lol'd at the legally.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Well, I was asking anyone who's reading this thread, but since you were lol'ing at the idea, I assume you have reason to believe creating your own ringtones is illegal. Care to share your reasons?

The legality was lol'd at because any method you choose to convert the file is legal. He wasn't saying it wasn't legal.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The legality was lol'd at because any method you choose to convert the file is legal. He wasn't saying it wasn't legal.

Ah, sorry, my mistake. Since he was commenting negatively on the other two points (he was saying it was not instant and not perfect), I assumed he was doing the same for the third point, that is, saying it was not legal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.