Do rMBPs randomly shut down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conkerbot, Jul 28, 2012.

1. conkerbot macrumors member

I'm just asking because, when trying out the £2k machine instore to make sure I actually liked it and it didn't just look good on paper, I launched iPhoto and the machine just died. Black screen, fans off, all lights off, wouldn't turn on.
    The machine was pretty hot (very hot in fact) because the store was making it loop a 4K video in QuickTime. But if the machine will die in conditions like that it's unsuitable for me.
    I would have investigated instore, but when I got the manager I was chastised for minimising the video and he wouldn't believe that I was actually planning to buy it on that day (hence me wanting to try it a bit) - well, I was before the extremely rude manager! So is this regular, or a very irregular blip?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All Macs have an overheat protection circuit which is designed to shut them down if they run over max heat levels...Since they had the machine running a demo loop in what was probably a hot store, that's what you probably encountered. If it was on a flat surface and not a cooling stand that would contribute to the heat too. It's pretty rare, and I wouldn't let it put you off buying one, but go elsewhere to make your purchase...Apple stores are usually pleased to allow you to get hands on.

3. conkerbot thread starter macrumors member

Hi, yeah was a hot store. The video was sitting using about 140% of CPU in activity monitor so that could overheat it. Unfortunately no Apple Store in my city until next year and our premium reseller has also recently closed, but John Lewis (department store) is usually very friendly and helpful so will try there. Thanks, glad it's likely just a simple overheat rather than a fault.

4. ikarus79m macrumors member

This actually happened to me the other day. I was rendering out a 4k Cineon DPX sequence from After Effects CS6 and left. When I came home the computer was completely shut off.

Have never seen this on a Mac before and hope this won't happen again.

5. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

2000 pounds? Amazon uk has it for 1654-

Wish the discount hadn't disappeared here in the USA.

6. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

7. leenak macrumors 68020

I've done a lot of things on mine, including games that were taxing the system hard and it hasn't shut down my machine.

8. The Carny macrumors newbie

Not in my experience. In fact, after I dropped mine I wanted to test it out so I handed it a lot of taxing video / audio tasks. It had a pretty big workload before the fans became audible in never became uncomfortably hot.

The only uninvited restart I've had was a kernel panic four or five days ago.

----------

It'll be the lower-spec model at that price.

9. conkerbot thread starter macrumors member

Hmm that is a bit worrying. That would make me take a fully loaded MBA 13 if it is something that can happen.

£2000 for 2.6/16/512 model including education discount. I really do need the extra storage, and want to future proof with RAM

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

This is why there is that small slot on the right side. That is where you have to slip in a coin now and then to keep it running.

11. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

casual user here...mine shut down yesterday and I wasn't even doing anything intensive like gaming or coding. I just restarted it and it was like I put it to sleep and woke it up again. It was connected to the TB display at the time.

12. dank414 macrumors member

Their talking about a 4k video footage rendering (in high temperature). It'll pretty much kick most notebooks to crash or have something go bad.