Do scratch proof skins affect MBP cooling at at all?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jwilcox09, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

I just got a new macbook pro 15" (finally upgraded from old MBP) and I was looking to get the clear scratch proof stuff for the bottom, but was wondering if anyone had experience their mac running hotter as a result. I know part of the design lets heat escape through the bottom and wasn't sure if that amount of solid plastic (or whatever its made of) would affect the core temp at all, possibly causing the fan to run more than needed etc.

Thanks for any help.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Well, more importantly, they don't protect your MBP from scratches. Dust gets in between the cover and the machine, and then the dust winds up scratching the metal.

3. jwilcox09 thread starter macrumors member

jwilcox09

Interesting, I actually never thought of that. Thanks for the reply.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The impact would be minimal, if any. The primary cooling is not through the base, but through the vents in the rear near the hinge. Heat radiates in all directions, including through the base, but it's not the primary method of cooling.

5. jwilcox09 thread starter macrumors member

jwilcox09

That is what i figured. Thanks very much!

6. hungtran19 macrumors newbie

why dont you get the zagg skin ? works great for me and no change in heat since i put mine on

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I use PhantomSkinz and have not had any heat issues. If you block the vents with something, then it will heat up.

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I think you are confusing snap on cover with skin.

The skins, like bestskinsever, etc.. work fine on the mbp.. however the heat will lead them to yellow, so you'd probably want to replace them yearly. Any of the skins yellow with heat.

9. colticus macrumors newbie

I had a Zagg InvisibleShield on my 2011 13" and the temps increased by 10 degrees F while encoding. According to iStat Pro anyway.