Do some apps use 3g for push notifications, even in wi-fi areas?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wetwipes, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Wetwipes macrumors member

The reason I ask is because I am being charged for cellular data sometimes, at times when I know I have been at home and using wifi.

2. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Two things to note, even when your iphone is in sleep mode, it's still receiving and sending data.
    Wifi should always be dominant over 3G. What could be happening is your phone is probably going outside the reach of your wifi signal causing 3G to kick in. Best thing to do would be to keep the phone next to your wifi router and do some testing to see if 3G data is still seeping through

Good luck

3. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

My reading has been that some phone functions use a cellular data connection even if wifi is turned on which is probably why AT&T requires a data package if you have an iPhone. MMS, for example, seems to go over a cell connection at all times and there are some "phone home" functions in the phone which always go over a cellular data connection. Also, keep in mind that the "wifi bars" only indicate that it has a wifi connection. If there's a problem with the connection that affects data throughput, the phone will fall back to the cellular data connection.