Do some cell towers use more battery juice than others?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I can't help but think my 3G S uses more battery while I am at home (or in my small town) than when I am at my friends house an hour away. Is it possible that a cell tower can use more juice than another. Possibly something wrong with the tower my phone uses when I am at home. I have full bars in both locations

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

If service is spotty, the phone will use more battery in its attempts to negotiate with the tower. Resulting in the battery drain you're experiencing.

3. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

This explains my situation. I'm experiencing so-so battery life thanks to my terrible 3G signal at my apartment (I'm one mile from the N.C. State campus and one mile from Interstate 40) and also at work (on campus) where I have this belief that the building is stuffed with aluminum foil. The second I step outside, hellooooooo five bars!

I hardly believe the last one is AT&T's fault, but damn I'd love to get a signal at my apartment! I lost 6% overnight the other evening b/c I had my phone away from my window...haha.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Well, in a couple of months, hopefully, AT&T will roll out its femtocell. You plug it into your network router, and 5 bars in your house. Of course, they'll probably charge something ridiculous for this.

5. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

By the time AT&T goes full round with femtocell, hopefully we'll be able to choose a carrier that has the best service for each user.

6. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

What if you plugged femtocell into a cradlepoint router getting internet from an AT&T Aircard?