Do some MacBook Pro Retinas come with quieter keyboards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by genealogyxie, Jul 9, 2016.

1. genealogyxie macrumors newbie

I purchased a MacBook Pro 13 Retina in a genuine Apple Store in China and the keyboard was a lot quieter than I remembered with my experience with my MacBook Pro 15 Retina with the Haswell processor. Unfortunately I had to return it because the charger was incompatible with the ones in the US (where I live)

I purchased the same model in the US on eBay (sealed box) but it seems that the keyboard is really loud (louder than any high end keyboard I can remember using). Was it because I received an older version (both are 2015 models) or do the Chinese models simply have quieter keyboards or is it just random luck?

Could I take it to an Apple store in the US and have them replace the keyboard with a quieter one? How much would that cost?

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not sure of the keyboard, however the chargers are compatible, just need to change the duck head at the most. Written on a 12" rMB, bought in Mainland China, currently in Papua New Guinea, that has literally been around the world. Apple Chargers are good for 100V - 24OV and work globally.

As Apple has multiple sources for components, it`s not impossible that there is more than one vendor for the KB.

Q-6

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Whew! Where to start?
    Not sure about your issue with the keyboard, but you returned the Chinese-purchased model for no good reason. All you needed was a different "duck-head", or at most a different power cord. The power adapters are the same world-wide, and just use different plugs to adapt to local power connections. The MacBook Pros are also the same world-wide, except for keyboard. The different keyboards are the various foreign language keyboards.
    Perhaps you had the most-other-countries ISO keyboard, which has an oddly shaped Enter key - not rectangular like the US keyboard. Maybe that ISO keyboard has different key characteristics (such as lower mechanical noise)

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603