Phones Do specs matter?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by hunterheath33, Dec 6, 2012.

1. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

I really want the HTC merge but it only has an 800MHZ processor with 512 MB Ram. The reason I want this phone is for the keyboard. The keyboard is amazing and I use my phone WAY more than anything else but only would use it for music Facebook twitter and texting. Maybe even some calls and pics. Are the specs enough?

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Yeah. It's plenty for what you want. There's other, faster phones with keyboards for cheap too. But like I said, for what you want to do. It's fine. The experience probably won't always be the smoothest. Whether or not you can live with that only you can decide. I was running on a lot worse hardware (533mhz cpu and 128mb RAM) up until August and I managed just fine. Very minor issues with crashing.

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I've just had a look and GSMArena says the merge is still on Android 2.2.

That seems awfully behind to me. Is this the case?

4. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

Most people don't care about this stuff. For the OP, if you want that and that is the deciding factor, get it.. If you aren't the biggest techie, you won't really care unless you came from an iPhone or a high end Android with amazing specs.

5. cynics macrumors G3

If I had to have a keyboard I'd get the Droid 4 but I think its a Verizon exclusive. It does have a GSM radio so I'm not sure if there is a way to move it to your carrier....

6. Ericcc macrumors member

If you're only planning to use the phone for those applications, then performance will be fine. If you do install other apps, and use it like a smartphone, it will remain functional, but definitely feel very dated. This is based on my experience with a soon to be 3-year old Nexus One.

Also, since it's an older handset with an ancient OS, installing a custom ROM will improve your experience a lot.

7. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

Would a custom launcher work instead of a custom rom since I don't want to root my defice

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Custom launchers only do so much. They won't improve performance.

9. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Specs matter to a point. If you're in 2012 and buying a phone with an 800MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, and running Android 2.2, that is probably a crappy phone. Unless you're being given it, I'd advise against that phone.

If you're looking at any modern, up-to-date smartphone though, I'd argue it doesn't matter that much, although you should bear in mind that the worse your specs are, the shorter the life of your phone will be in terms of how many software updates it can handle.

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Most apps can still be installed on froyo. That and I'm pretty sure it's the 3rd most popular version of android behind 2.3 and 4.0.

11. mikegasol macrumors member

How much is it and is it on a contract? As long as it's really cheap and you don't mind not having any updates for however long the contract is, why not?

12. Ericcc macrumors member

I would say that custom launchers do improve performance, but not as much as a more recent custom ROM that will feature a custom launcher anyway...

May I ask why you're reticent about rooting your phone? BTW, to install a custom OS, you'll have to do much more than rooting your phone (which is pretty minor); you'll have to irrevocably unlock your bootloader.

13. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the phone is 1 cent and I don't like to modify my devices

14. Ericcc macrumors member

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Why would unlocking the BL be irrevocable? I've relocked the boatloader on both my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 with no issues--is it an issue specific to this device? (Not familiar with it)

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Specs are enough for OP. But to answer the question do specs matter, the answer is yes. For example, the OS needs fast specs to deliver a smooth graphical user experience. You can see this on high end phones like the iPhone, Galaxy S3 (International Version) Galaxy Note 2, etc.

17. Ericcc macrumors member

Hmmm I didn't know that. My knowledge is out-dated; the Nexus One was not re-lockable and still might not be.

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

It's always been relockable on Nexus devices, however on the N1 you could not make it stock - so when you turned it on, it'd show a closed padlock for a locked bootloader, but that's also a sign it was previously unlocked.

As far as I know, this is not true for newer Nexus devices however.

19. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I'm still using my iPhone 3GS, a 2009 machine. What do you think?

For a mobile device like this one, I prefer portability over specs. Specs is somewhat important, but I prioritize portability.

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Specs are becoming somewhat of a liability actually, considering the toll on battery life

21. Twixt macrumors 6502

I also carry this 3GS for more than 3 years, but battery life is more and more annoying.
    Also, even if i did not update to iOS 6, I find my phone slower with time...

I guess there is point beyond which specs matter, still!

22. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I'll be getting the 4S when the 5S comes out. Don't care about the latest and the fastest, just a smartphone that is usable. :)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. While important, the specs aren't the entire story when looking at a phone.