Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Just wondering if Apple stores now have replacement Watches for Apple Care or if owners still ave to send the Watch to Apple?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No. I just had to send my watch in to be re-flashed, since I tried to pair it to my replacement phone, and it still wanted to be unlocked by the old phone to which it was no longer paired.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
No. I just had to send my watch in to be re-flashed, since I tried to pair it to my replacement phone, and it still wanted to be unlocked by the old phone to which it was no longer paired.

Thanks for replying! Did they give you a turnaround time estimate? I had to have my iPhone 6+ replaced on Sunday and every since then it's been nothing but problems with my watch. It can't all be beta related.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Our local Apple store does but not a full collection. Sports are in stock buy the SS sells out and they have never had a spare SB from what the Geek told me.

Call your Apple store and see

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for replying! Did they give you a turnaround time estimate? I had to have my iPhone 6+ replaced on Sunday and every since then it's been nothing but problems with my watch. It can't all be beta related.

They said 3-5 days. Hopefully the holiday doesn't delay it too much. I think there are issues in general with re-pairing watches. The rep said that right now all watches go to engineering so that they can investigate them centrally. In my case, I unpaired my Apple Watch from the old iPhone, restored the new iPhone from a backup of the old, paired the watch to the new iPhone, and then restored the watch from the backup. I think when I get the watch back I'll just pair it as new. My corporate settings force the unlock from iPhone feature (it doesn't allow the passcode for the watch). I think the issue is that it is still looking for the "old" iPhone, to which it is no longer paired, to unlock it.

I'm debating whether to buy a Sport as a spare.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I assume this bug could have been avoided if you had unpaired the Watch from the old iPhone before getting the replacement? Or did it not reset after unpairing?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I assume this bug could have been avoided if you had unpaired the Watch from the old iPhone before getting the replacement? Or did it not reset after unpairing?
I did unpair the Watch from the old iPhone. I think the issue might have been that the backup on the new iPhone (which transferred over from the backup of the old iPhone that I restored to the new one) might have "tricked" the Watch into looking for the old iPhone. I didn't notice it until a few hours later (after I had already erased the old iPhone). At that point it was "paired" to the new iPhone, got notifications, etc. and was working fine until I took it off. When I put it back on, I noticed that it wouldn't unlock.

Reactions: JayLenochiniMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.