Do student discounts apply to refurbs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wallace86, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Wallace86 macrumors regular

I may opt for a refurb next week if the new mbps are less than spectacular. But i really wouldnt be saving any money if the student discount didnt apply...anyone know?

2. letswastetime macrumors regular

I don't think so, the prices for refurbished Apple products in the education store are the same as the regular store. But you can get a student discount on applecare i think.

3. Josheua macrumors regular

From first hand experience, no they don't. I purchased a refurbished Macbook Pro in the student store and got no additional discount. However, the AppleCare discount still applies along with a few bits of software. Not to mention the refurbished price for my macbook pro was substantially cheaper ($200 dollars) less than I could have gotten it new with a student discount, and my Macbook Pro came in looking great, running very cool (I have had no heating issues and have done video encoding as well as gaming). The highest I have seen my CPU jump to was 71~72* Celsius. Also, I haven't had the yellowing screen issue.

All in all, I would rate my experience purchasing a refurbished macbook pro as Excellent.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

My experience was very similar to that described by Josheua. My MBP arrived in pristine condition with no issues, the refurb price I paid was still cheaper than if I had used my student discount on a new unit, and I was still able to purchase AppleCare with the educ discount without difficulty.

+1 for an excellent experience.

5. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Hmm regarding refurbs, does anyone know whether or not they give you new batteries? I would be rather irritated to get an old battery with a few cycles on it from the previous user or if it was just an old battery already degrading in health..

6. Josheua macrumors regular

I was concerned about that too. So when I got my new macbook pro and started to have battery issues, I visited my local Apple store, told them that my battery health had dropped quickly. They opened up a new battery and gave it to me on the spot after a quick check of the receipt (NOTE: DO NOT GET RID OF THAT E-MAIL WITH OUR RECEIPT IN IT...IT IS OUR LIFE LINE!!!)

Now I am running between 99% and 100% Health and couldn't be happier. If you have any issues, just tell Apple and they are very good at fixing it (especially if you have AppleCare and/or your computer is still under warranty)

-Josh :apple:

7. Wallace86 thread starter macrumors regular

8. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

9. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Can I just say that I've just got a refurb MBP, and I'm delighted. I was nervous at first because refurb kind of implies second hand, and I had no idea what condition my Mac would be in.

This worry was completely unfounded though. Apple has a fantastic refurb policy - each product is tested and repaired before sale. You also get a new refurb serial number. You get the 1 year Apple warranty and can buy the 3 year Apple Care at any point during this year. So effectively your refurb product is as good as new. Literally!

I had my MBP on for a few hours last night, copying my files over from my MB and it had that sickly sweet 'new mac' smell.

Anyway back to your point - i'd definitely get another refurb rather than edu discount. I qualify for HE discount (14%), but the discount on refurbs is 19% which on a MBP is substantial (£200 extra off).

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point to my post is, other than to alleviate any possible fears you may have about refurbs!

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

My refurb experience was good too, got a Core Duo Mini. Came in a brown box with an Apple logo on, and foam inserts. Had a 1GB upgrade and Superdrive for £50 more than the Combo model of the time.

Then sold it for as much as I bought it, one week before the Core 2s came out. :p

A question... why didn't you wait until after MacWorld? If they announce new MBPs, the one you just bought will probably see another £100 off or so.

Also, MBP 2.4s currently sell at £1299 in the Refurb store, but the Edu discount should knock a brand new one down to £1343. The only question then is if a proper box is worth £44 to you ;) I need a little more incentive so I'll be holding out for another drop after mwsf! (or I'll be ordering what comes out after the keynote, if it's to my liking)

11. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Because I'm not really that bothered about my model becoming redundant. Any product you buy will be replaced eventually. The MBP I bought does exactly what I need it to do! If there is a new product announced it'll probably only have a minor speed bump, maybe a larger HD or whatever.

£1599 - 14% = 1402.63. Thats £103 difference. I'm not paying that just for a box. Like I say the MBP is as new! Well it smells new to me and it has no dead pixels/dents/whatever so I'm happy.

I understand why you'd think it's crazy to buy a week before MWSF, but I'm not that bothered. Besides theres always the 14 day return policy that you get from UK distance buying laws in case a new 3 GHz MBP comes out for £1000 :p

Also I phoned up to complain that they didn't drop in the 10.5 update disk, and I got a brand new boxed full version of 10.5.1 today! For free! Woot!

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

You're not reading what I said. The SAME refurb you just bought will soon become cheaper if a new MBP comes out... it wouldn't be current tech anymore.

£1599 - 14% = 1402.63.[/QUOTE]

:eek: I thought uni discount was 16%... if not, I'll just deal with a US keyboard and buy from the States in a few weeks.

It's a £65 rtn train ticket from NYC to tax-free Delaware, where with Edu discount, I could currently pick up a 2.4 for $2299 - less than £1180! The £200 holiday almost pays for itself like that. ;)

13. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You've got your prices a little skewed there. The HE discount is not fixed at 14% or 16%, it varies depending upon product.

The actual prices are:

Retail 2.4 GHz MBP - £1599
    HE 2.4GHz MBP - £1359
    Refurb 2.4GHz MBP - £1299

So, you save £60 by going with the refurb over the HE MBP. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course. I think the refurbs from Apple are one of the most trusted ways of getting a steal on a great machine.

That being said, the HE discount is phenomenal. I was also pleasantly surprised quite a while ago, when Apple told me there was no 1 machine per year limit on HE purchases like I thought. I have said £1000s thanks to Apple.

David

14. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I don't believe you can although I think it still applies to Apple Care, although it might be cheaper on eBay: I'm never sure whether to trust it or not from there though.

15. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Ah OK fair enough, I assumed it was about 14%. Well I'm still happy with what I got - £60 for a box seems awfully steep.. Although I didn't get one of those white things that goes over your keyboard which I religiously keep for some daft reason. People laughed at me that I had a scruffy old laptop that still had that separator in between the keyboard and screen.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled though, if the price does come down I'll phone Apple up again, and whinge at them over the price. Try and blag them into giving me some cash or some goodies. It'll take something drastic for me to send this MBP back - I'm delighted!

:EDIT: Funnily enough I always assumed it was 1 laptop, 1 desktop per academic year. When you browse the online store it states: