Do the 13" have any issues the 15" are suffering?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ploki, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Ploki macrumors 68040

namely:
    - audio crackles:
    - heat
    - bridgeos kps

2. RobbieTT macrumors 6502

RobbieTT

Nope, not for me on either of my 13" MBPs.

The one and only bridgeOS KP I have suffered was on my iMac Pro. A case of spend more, get more...

3. leman macrumors G3

I've definitely heard about bridgeOS panic on 13" models. None of our 2018 machines (5 13" so far and 1 15") experience any issues though, from what I can tell.

4. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Have you read through the kernel panic thread, (yes I realize it is a long read at 109 pages and counting) and the Butterfly Keyboard threads.

I think you will find that when it comes to T2 BridgeOS related KP’s and keyboard issues that size doesn’t matter. They both use the same T2 chip and keyboards.

5. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

disheartening.

I'm gonna get a mac mini instead of a 15" as my workhorse, but still need a go-around laptop. Was hoping 13"-ers are fine for some reason.

I dont know what to get now.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2018 ---
    There seem to be less complaints about the 13" pros than the 15" as far as i gather...

Still, I really don't want another ordeal with a faulty laptop

6. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I wish. I believe the 4 navaira went through with keyboard issues/keys repeating were all 13" models and they have had their fair share of the T2 issues as well. I don't think that there is any evidence that one size is any more or less reliable than the other.

As far as the number of complains regarding one size vs the other. I am not sure which sells better/more units. 15" used to be the more popular size, is that still true? I honestly don't know. I tried a 13" once...

7. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

At this point there's no reason to believe that the 13" MBP's have any particular immunity to the T2 disease. It would be nice to pin down the reasons that some people are NOT having the T2 kernel panics and random reboots. It's like an episode of Star Trek when Kirk and crew were caught on a planet all dying expect the local kids and they had to figure out why. They did. Can Apple?

8. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I think some T2 chips are wearing red shirts :)

9. Plutonius, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The T2 Bridge OS errors seem to be intermittent for most people who are experiencing them. Also, only a percentage of users are indicating that they have experienced the T2 Bridge OS error.

I would suggest that you buy what you want but only from a store that allows open box returns (Apple, etc). You will most likely get a good machine but you can return it for a refund if you find any problems.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2018 ---
    The problem has been around since the iMac Pros were released so I'm pretty sure that the Apple engineers know exactly what the problems are.

I also think that the problem is in hardware with the T2 chip which is why all the software and firmware updates have been unable to completely eliminate the errors.

10. Diazepam Suspended

Diazepam

- audio crackles: NOPE :)
    - heat: NOPE :)
    - bridgeos kps: YUP :(

13" mid-2018. A1989. "MacbookPro 15,2"
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    On the 13", are you running High Sierra or Mojave ? Exact OS version number, please !
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    If that is the case, that is quite disheartening. I was hoping for a software fix in the future.

Maybe someday, we will have another "class action lawsuit" (whatever that means) and Apple will magically replace the faulty chips, haha. Wishful thinking :)