Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yodudears7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Santa Cruz CA
Ok so my faithful MacBook Pro 15'' from 2011 finally bit the dust, and while I have my iMac to hold me over, I do need something portable as well...

I have been searching everywhere for this answer, but do the 2014 15 inch MacBooks come standard with the NIVIDA gForce graphics with the Iris Pro integrated? I know at some point they made you select the designated graphics as an optional extra.. but I don't know if they did that with the 2014 models as well.

Help me because I need to make a selection off eBay soon!

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Only the high end 15" MBP had (and has) the discrete GPU, all the other models have only the iGPU

saldin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
As maflynn said, only the high-end 15" MBP has a discrete GPU. According to EveryMac, such 2014 15" MBP has the nVidia GeForce GT 750M with 2 GB GDDR5 memory.

X Cruz 187

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Ok so my faithful MacBook Pro 15'' from 2011 finally bit the dust, and while I have my iMac to hold me over, I do need something portable as well...

I have been searching everywhere for this answer, but do the 2014 15 inch MacBooks come standard with the NIVIDA gForce graphics with the Iris Pro integrated? I know at some point they made you select the designated graphics as an optional extra.. but I don't know if they did that with the 2014 models as well.

Thanks!

Each years 15 in. RMBP come with low end intel dedicated graphics only & high end intel dedicated graphics + Nvidia

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Each years 15 in. RMBP come with low end intel dedicated graphics only & high end intel dedicated graphics + Nvidia
They have since moved on to AMD, so you'll not see Nvidia in the current top line models of the MBP (or any Mac for that matter).

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto

Thanks!
What happened to your 2011? Any chance it's covered by the recall?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
IYO is the amd better or the same as the Nvidea? maflynn
My opinion is that Nvidia is a better GPU, there may be instances where the AMD might out perform the Nvidia but I think overall Nvidia is better.

I will say that AMD is a very capable GPU, I have one in my 5k iMac and the performance is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.