Do the 2009 MBP's have better wi-fi than the 2008 umbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whackintosh, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Got a refurb 15 inch 2.53 mbp and I mostly love it, but the wi-fi is considerably weaker than the wi-fi on my 2007 whitebook (coreduo). Have the newer 2009 MBP machines found a way to get better wi-fi reception? I need to know while I'm still within my 14-day period!

2. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

I don't think so. I believe they contain the same chipset. Apple doesn't usually change their network cards in its products. Maybe the refurb piece you got is faulty?

3. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Do you ever wonder why the hinge is plastic? Guess where the wi-fi antenna is? Guess what material is good at blocking signals?

4. Snowbound macrumors regular

I even mostly know what you're talking about but that's a really obnoxious way to post in a forum.

5. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Haha...I never understood why they used aluminum myself. Isn't that why they switched the iPhone 3G to a plastic casing? Then they turned around and made the MacBook aluminum.

6. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Guess which poster in this forum made himself look like an ass.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Considering his last sentence wasn't even a question...

8. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

I could be wrong but I thought the antennae are house in the bezel of the screen and not in the hinge itself.

9. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Splendid. Just doing my best to help answer something that's constantly being asked here (and where I work, but I can be an ass here and get away with it! Kinda.).

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'm pretty sure they're equally horrid. When I'm on the second level of my house I have to either a) run a 50' ethernet cable to where I am, or b) tether my iPhone 3G. FML.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Stated/proven already. Various reviews (Macworld, Mac Life magazines) already explained that the MacBook's with the plastic body are "king of the wi-fi mountain" and PowerBook/MacBook Pro's wi-fi performance in comparison is rather weak.

There is nothing wrong with your MacBook Pro.