Do the Airport connectivity problems exist with the AEBS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bimmerchop, Dec 30, 2007.

1. bimmerchop macrumors regular

I'm getting so tired of having all these constant headaches with my damn aiport connection dropouts to my linksys router. It's to the point where turning airport off/on won't repair it, and I have to actually restart the whole computer. After 3 fresh installs of leopard, I'm about to give up and am actually considering forking up the cash for an AEBS. Do people also experience these connection problems with the AEBS? If not, I'll probably be picking one up this afternoon, but I don't want to waste my $ if it'll be the same thing all over.

I tried searching, but it's hard to filter out the brand of routers people are having trouble with because of all the numerous threads already out there about the airport issues.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I don't know about this specifically, but I would wait until 10.5.2 at MWSF which should stop the problems...

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've got an airport extreme base station and I've never had any problems with it. Transfer speeds are good and it will be even better once Time Machine works with it. I say go for it, it's a great router.

I also upgraded from a linksys router and that was a very good move.

4. IChing macrumors regular

We had tons of drops on our linksys router that we shared with apple and microsoft computers and finally bought the AEBS and have had a very good experience with it.

5. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I've had problems with Linksys and D-Link routers with Macs...I don't they want to support them very much. We now have 2 Airport Extremes and it works great!

6. bimmerchop thread starter macrumors regular

If that is in fact the case, where there are no dropouts with the AEBS, I'll pick it up this afternoon. I'm just tired of waiting for apple to release a fix for this.

Please, if anyone has had, or knows of others who have had the the connection dropout problem with an AEBS, post your experience here. I'll be leaving to the apple store in an hour or so, and $180 is no joke.

How is apple's return policy? If I get the base station and still experience dropout problems, would I be able to return it to the store for full credit?

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

You have 14 days to return it. They will try to slap on a 10% restocking fee, but if it doesn't work don't let them do that. Ask to speak to the manager if necessary and calmly explain the problem. Then they should give you a full refund. Also, if you would want to try again, they should be able to give you a new one to see if the problem still persists.

8. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

I had some problems at first with my AEBS. I have a voip linksys router that I cannot ditch because it is my phone entry point in the house.

I first connected the AEBS to it, managed to get everything running fine after 30 min with the AEBS connected into the linksys router as per the advice of my voip provider. It worked well for about 2 weeks, then my MBP started experiencing random connection dropouts. Later I noticed they occurred more often and while the phone was in use. There was no connection problems with my other 2 computers connected in the linksys router.

After a search for reasons as to why this behaviours would happen, I reconfigured the AEBS to use the 5 GHz frequency instead of 2.4 GHz, which is what my phone uses. It has been working great ever since.