Do the amount of apps installed on iPhone affect stability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Aug 28, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

My iPhone has been locking up quite a bit lately. I currently have about 4 pages of apps installed. Does it matter how many are installed? Thanks for any advice.

2. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I doubt it matters. More apps installed simply means more disk space occupied, which shouldn't affect stability at all... at least in theory.

I've also got 4 pages of apps installed. My iPhone hardly ever acts up on me.

3. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I think it does. From what I've read, at a certain point if you have too many, it'll get stuck at the apple logo boot screen for whatever reason... I've had to restore mine twice in the last 2 days, first time ever having problems since the launch and the only thing that had changed was that i downloaded tons of programs or was updating some.... everytime that it happened, it was due to 3rd party apps in some way so I'm gonna try to avoid them until the next software update and hope it brings a patch for this issue

4. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

How is it technically possible, though? Having more applications simply means more disk space taken until you load them in memory. I don't think the OS boot process will be affected by the available disk space at all. The one possibility I can think of is that if an app can somehow corrupt the file system, then the boot process may get stuck checking the file system integrity. I highly doubt that would happen all that often.

5. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes this is exactly what happened to me. I was updating an app and it reset. Now it's stuck. This has happened countless times the past few days. I wanna throw my iPhone at the wall. :mad:

6. phpjeff macrumors newbie

I am not sure how or why, but I am thinking the same thing. I am the only one of several users I know that is having this problem. Both crashing on install to the apple logo or also application crashing after launch. All third party apps will not work but the apple apps work fine. Then if I restart the phone, it will hang on the logo.

I am on 9 restores now.

This sucks!

7. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I have 5 pages of apps installed (and use them a bunch!) and am not having any any more problems than when I only had 2 pages of apps. I have occasionally had apps try to start and then went back to home screen, but just powering off and on fixes the problem. I've never had to do a restore and I've had my 3G since launch day.

Aurora Feint is the only app that has acted strangely and put up a message that the phone was low on memory and suggested that I power off and on.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Not for me.

I have close to 60 downloaded apps, and my phone is very stable. I get a Safari crash every so often, but that's about it. I have no lag, no long backups, etc. *knock wood*

9. baaron macrumors newbie

OP question: Not at all.

This is the upside to apples architechture for 3rd party apps, the downside is the limited ability to utlize the platform.

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, it's possible that the OS uses more memory than we thought and uses disk space as "RAM" (can't remember what it's called). So with less disk space, the slower it gets (though that still is weird because application settings shouldn't take up too much of the system partition).

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not sure. Only some users experience the problem, so it might be certain specific apps.

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/08/28/iphone-apps-crash-on-launch-cont-the-fix/

With jailbreaked phone, the apps used to be installed on the OS partition, and too man apps = no free space = crashes.