Do the Apple cases actually work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronincse, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ronincse macrumors regular

ronincse

Let me clarify that: obviously they help protect from scratches, but I'm wondering if they actually help prevent breaking the screen in the event of a drop onto a hard surface? Does anyone have any experiences where they have dropped their phone in an Apple case and the screen didn't crack?

2. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

Well I had the Apple leather case on my 6 plus, but one month ago it finally fell on the ground face down and the screen cracked real good, had to use my applecare to get the screen replaced. After having iPhones since they first came out, this was the first one that I got a damaged screen.

Unless you get the heavier duty cases I don't see how any of them could prevent the screen from getting damaged.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

I've dropped my 6s plus many times and 7 plus one time now without the screens breaking. I use the apple leather cases. I think it all depends on luck. If you hit at the wrong angle it will break even with a better case.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My GF drops her phone constantly. I usually make sure she has an otterbox, but the Statement series isn't out yet for the regular 7 so she has been using a silicone case. She's dropped it 2 or 3 times, no damage whatsoever. She does have a glass screen protector though. I rarely, rarely ever drop my phone, but the silicone case has held up well. Dropped my 6s twice over the course of a year, both times from 4+ feet, both times not a scratch.

5. ronincse thread starter macrumors regular

ronincse

Well to be fair dropping it with the screen landing facedown is the worst case scenario. Unless you have something like an otterbox defender most cases wouldn't protect against this. I'm more worried about it landing on an edge or skidding across the floor or something.

6. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

Of course, it was the worst case fall. Just sharing what happened with mine. Don't expect miracles

7. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I've had one for the 5S and 6s+ and as far as protection it does great. I just ordered a new one for my 7+. The one thing I would suggest with the larger screens is an additional screen protector.

Depending on how rough you are, your case might look ratty at the end of your phones term, but you'll pull your phone out looking like it just came out of the box aside from dust around the exposed areas.

I will note that the bottom is left mostly uncovered, but I've slung the phone on accident, dropped it from waist high and never had an issue with the case, even when the phone landed on it's face.

Don't get me wrong, every time it dropped, it scared the hell out of me, but all is well after the torture I put it through.

8. Vihzel macrumors 6502

The cases definitely works in protecting against the majority of falls. Now if it falls screen down, then that's a toss up since the lip of the case isn't high above the screen although it protects the screen if you place your phone face down on tables and such.

Put on an Apple case, buy Applecare+, and you're good to go!

9. ronincse thread starter macrumors regular

ronincse

Well glad to hear all this. I have an Otterbox Symmetry on it right now which obviously seems like it will protect against drops but is pretty bulky. Those Apple leather cases are just so nice and sleek and I especially like the new metal buttons on them. Will probably be getting one soon then.

10. Vihzel macrumors 6502

What's nice with the Apple cases is that there is no third party branding. I absolutely despise any third party branding on my phone.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use Apple leather cases exclusively and they have served me well. A few drops, no damage. When it's time to upgrade, my old phones look nearly brand new. Yes, a little expensive at $50.00, but in my opinion, they are well made, protect well, look great. Went for the light blue this time which will arrive tomorrow. Hope I don't drop my 7+ before the case arrives.

12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I've been very pleased with the Apple cases and have been using them since the iPhone 6. With both the 6 and 6s+ that I had, the phones still looked brand new after a year of use in the Apple leather cases. For the 7, this is the first time I've gone with the silicone case and I must say that I really like the look and feel a lot. Time will tell how well it holds up over the next year, but so far so good.

13. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I used an Apple leather case on my 6S and dropped it face down quite a bit without issue. I almost always have a glass screen protector on it too but I have never broken one. Dropping it onto rocks or concrete is a toss up though... there is a good enough lip on the leather cases to survive most face down falls. They survive corner hits fine as well. I have hit the bottom corner a few times without damage.

All of my drops were no more than 4', though. If you aren't against a glass screen protector, I would suggest one on any open face case... it's worth the $4.

14. OC513 macrumors 6502

Had an Apple leather case on my last 2 phones, had them both for 2 years, MANY MANY drops and not a mark on the phones. Case got scuffed up terribly a few times but within a few weeks the scuffs blend in and you can even notice them. For me it is the best case I have ever used. Its so thin, feels great and gives much more protection than I would have ever thought. Of course I got my new 7 plus last night and no stores near me have them in stock. Delivery estimate is about a week, so I will be babying my phone til it arrives as I will not go with a different case.