Do the EU iPhones have the 100 dB volume limit like on EU iPods?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBug2, Mar 4, 2011.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

I'll probably change my 1st gen this summer to iPhone 5, and live in France, and I want to switch to iPhone for music as well, currently I use my US nano for that, but if the EU models of iPhones have the same 100 dB volume limit as iPods sold in EU, I'll have to find a way to get the US model.

2. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I can't answer your question, but at the moment Apple don't sell unlocked US devices so unless that changes when the next iPhone comes out, there would be no point in you buying one unless you can find a way to unlock it - which may not be too easy.

3. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I don't know the values, but comparing the volume from my IP4 with the Ipod 5G you can notice that the IP4 has a very limited volume.

4. lapocompris macrumors regular

Are you already deaf or planning to become in a near future?

The 100 dB limit is there for a good reason.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol, i have to agree

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

was just going to post.

listening to music st 100 db is cazy enough and op want to go to 11 :eek:

7. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

I suppose people don't really know how the volume limit functions. It's designed in the way that there is no volume higher than 100dB going out of the device, so it doesn't work the same way for each album.

Some albums, like pop albums, are mastered very loudly, so if you limit a devices volume to make the pop/rock albums stay under 100dB at all times,
    when you listen to a classical album, which has more dynamic range, it'll be mastered at a much lower volume, to make it possible that there's no distortion when the dynamic range changes.

So a device set on maximal volume will give you maybe 70dB on a classical albums most parts, with 90-93dB on the loudest parts, sometimes even less.

So it'll be basically barely audible if you are in a loud environment.

If the devices worked "smart", i.e. did the volume adjustment according to the music it is playing, then 100dB would indeed be an OK upper bound.

But they don't.

On my US iPod nano, I set the volume to 40% when listening to pop, and I can hear it easily on the road, but when I listen to classical, the volume is at 80-85% mostly, to get the same loudness.

I hope it's clear for everyone now and why it's totally nonsense to set a limit like that on EU iPods, which makes everyone furious.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

can you change the output volume of the songs in itunes?

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

While currently there is no factory-unlocked iPhone 4s sold in the US, Canada does have them (not sure if they have the volume limit)

10. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

No, you can't. You'd have to open them in an audio editor, remaster them in a sense with higher volume, while paying attention to distortion, and re encode them.

11. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Ah well, I thought I saw some unlocked US iphones when I looked for it online, but maybe they are imported ones from EU.

12. MrMojo1 macrumors newbie

MrMojo1

Apple sells the UNLOCKED iPhone 4, now the iPhone 4S, in their Apple Retail stores and online at www.apple.com in the USA! BUT you have to pay FULL retail price which is ~$600-700 depending on the model's drive capacity. Not sure but doubt Apple will ship outside the USA, though.

If you only care about music, then you can buy iPods off Amazon.com or eBay.com then have it shipped internationally though shipping costs may be high and you may have to pay customs tax, depending on the country you live in.

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

For a given volume setting, no two headphones will be equally loud. The setting that results in 100 dB on stock iPod earbuds might only be able to get to 85dB on some higher-impedence headphones. So for those whose headphones are higher impedence, being able to set the volume is always nice

14. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Click get info
    adjust volume to anywhere from -100% to 100%+

I convert every song to -25%, can not understand how people blast music through their ears and yet still feel comfortable.