Do the first generation 15" rMBPs have any design issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Sep 14, 2013.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I am in the market for a 15" laptop and I am thinking the prices will drop for the first gen 15" retina MBPs after the new Haswell ones are launched later this year. I want to get a 15" rMBP (refurbished from Apple or discounted models at Best Buy or other places). I can't spend >$2000 on a laptop, so I am willing to wait.

I remember reading some posts here last year about some screen issues, stuttering during scrolling etc. when the first rMBPs were launched. Have those issues been fixed over the past year with software updates and such? Do the 2012 rMBPs have any underlying fundamental design, battery, screen or heating issues? Also will the first gen MBPs be fairly future proof going forward?

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I have a 2.4 GHz 15" rMBP. It's not the original model released in June 2012, but the upgraded model released in early 2013. The specs are nearly the same, except for a slightly upgraded processor with a clock 100 MHz higher. Perhaps there are some internal tweaks as well, but I'm just speculating and I'll never really know.

It runs fine and I've never had a problem with it. No heating issues. No issues with the screen, not a single dead pixel. The keyboard and the trackpad are fine. The laptop is just great, the best one I've ever had. Never had a problem with it, and I've owed it for almost three months now.

The Haswell version will have the upgraded processor with stellar battery life and some other specs, but, apart from that, I don't believe much will change.

The current laptop will certainly be sold for a lower price. However, if you can't spend so much on a laptop, have you tried looking at the 13" version? It's fine. There are also other PC laptops which will feature higher screen resolutions and will be great products, and which will cost much less than the 15" rMBP.

3. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I have one from launch and there are no such issues when it comes to battery, heating, and scrolling.

The screen is dependent on the supplier (LG or Samsung), based on my history the first 5 rMBPs I had were LG and they all exhibited the screen issue (ghosting/screen retention) so I kept going through them until I got this Samsung one and this one has yet to exhibit the issue.

LG screens are more likely linked to the issue but that's not to say Samsung has issues of their own (yellow tint/dead pixles)

Either way you'll be covered up for a year so if you do have issues Apple will take care of you.

In terms of future proof that's hard to say because there is always something new around the corner but it will last you a good 4-5 years or even longer depending on your usage.

4. oopsroger macrumors regular

oopsroger

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Mine is from Oct 2012 and it runs great--screen is beautiful, doesn't run hot, battery has plenty of reserve. Runs as advertised--or better. :)

6. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I have my 15" rMBP since August 2012 (Samsung panel and SSD) and it is perfect! No issues whatsoever.

I purchased Apple Care so it's covered until August 2015.

PERFECT MACHINE!

7. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" launch model with the LG screen and honestly, the only time I notice the ghosting issue is when I do the screen retention tests. Other than that, it's great.

8. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

I just got my rMBP 15" the other day. It has its fair share of issues. The lagging in Safari and UI will be fixed in Mavericks, according to many on this site. My MBP also has creaking on the right palm rest. Apparently this issue is also well known with retina owners.

Now it makes sense to wait for a second generation rMBP.