Do the following things work on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by morgothaod, Sep 5, 2009.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

I'm thinking about buying a Mac and I want to know if I can use the following things:

1. MSN Messenger
    2. Zune Pass (Microsoft's equivalent of itunes)
    3. Be able to upload photos from my Sony Digital camera
    4. Be able to put songs on my zune player
    5. Use my canon i550 printer
    6. Use my linksys router

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

MSN yes.
    Zune - dunno search because someone just bought one and I asked that same question.
    Sony, yes through iPhoto.
    Zune - dunno again.
    Canon printer - should be able to.
    Linksys Router - Yes.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Zune's don't work. Blame anti-competetive Microsoft. Then again if you use boot camp and install Windows you can use your Zune all you want. Or since this is an Apple forum, might I recommend a superior product? Like an iPhone, iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod nano, or even an iPod shuffle (third generation).

However for MSN messenger you'll need to buy Microsoft office, or use Adium. I don't think Adium supports all of MSN's features...

As for printers... your printer is listed as compatible :)

and of course your camera will work with iPhoto.

and your router will work fine too.

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

You do not need to buy Microsoft Office to get MSN messenger, you can download it here

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You dont need to buy office at all to have msn. You can download MSN Messenger right from Microsoft website for free. The issue is the mac version sucks! (They are updating it though).. There are many alternatives though
    AMSN would be the closest equivalent, but I prefer Adium (it lacks features like voice, and video.. but otherwise is great)

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

mea culpa :)

7. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I thought that was the case too. I'm confused why it was even assumed you needed MS Office to get MSN Messenger.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you really want a Mac and the Zune stuff, Parallels or VMWare plus your old license for XP or Vista is not such a prohibitive cost... and running Windows in virtualization is not that clunky (e.g. no reboots to sync the Zune or anything).

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sorry. I got it with Microsoft Office (I've never used it) so I just assumed it was necessary. I already apologized, Jessica. Leave it alone.

11. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

Can I use Zune Pass on my ipod? I don't own a zune, but I do want to use its service over itunes (I'd rather pay $15/month for 1 month and download 100s of songs instead of paying $1 per song). I assumed the Zune Pass wouldn't work on an ipod, so I pretended like I owned a Zune lol.

12. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. A Zune pass will not work on an iPod. Hence the name "Zune Pass".

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, erm, you have Zune Pass but you don't have a Zune? :confused:

Or do you have neither Zune Pass nor a Zune right now? Rhapsody has said they believe they can get an App approved in the App Store to bring their service to the iPhone, but MS is not widely expected to do that for theirs....

15. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I got neither.

All I want to do is download music legally (I know how to do it illegally but I don't want to risk getting in trouble) and not have to pay a lot. What should I use? Can you even download music off of zune? I read on a thread here that you can only listen to the songs and then at the end of the month you get 10 free songs.

I don't know what to do lol

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No matter what, you are going to pay for it.

The thing about the subscription services, like Zune Pass, is that you do not own the music. If you stop paying, you can no longer play the music. So while you may get 1,000 songs at $15 - you have to keep paying that $15 every month, for as long as you want to keep the music.

17. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds retarded to me, why rent music? Thanks for resolving my confusion.

18. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I usually buy a few iTunes gift cards for my sons and nephews every year for Christmas and Birthday presents. Most of them are $15-$25 cards. Then I get 2 or 3 for my self. Someone gave me a $50 Visa Card and I bought a $50 iTunes card with it.

The boys use them mostly for music, I use mine more for TV shows and Movies.