Do the iPhone 5 battery swelling replacement models have the same issue with the battery expanding?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Mar 24, 2017.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

My got replaced in 2014 and after 2 years it started having bluish tones on the edges only
    I wasn't sure if it was the battery expanding.
    It is a replacement model so I don't understand what's going on.
    To me the battery exploding/expanding has to be the worst thing about the iPhone because not only could it cause fires but could also make your phone break completely and lose everything on it.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Not sure if "bluish tones on the edges", equals a swelling battery.
    Your iPhone 5 would be out of warranty, I suppose.
    But, you could try asking at an Apple store, see what they will tell you.

Or, if you are concerned about the battery, get the battery replaced.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

and if you are concerned about loosing everything, make sure you are BACKING UP!

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

If you're concerned, I would make an appointment with Apple to have the battery replaced, to at least safeguard yourself.

5. posguy99 macrumors 6502

If you're not backing it up, the information on the phone is obviously not important.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't know about swelling, but my replacement battery has tanked recently. I still have my original 5 but got a new battery in fall 2015. It's now happened twice in the past couple weeks where my phone will go from over 50% to dead in a matter of minutes. Then if I wait an hour or so I can turn it back on and get another five minutes. Both times were at sporting events. But it doesn't matter too much because I'm probably getting an iPhone 7 here soon. I'm way overdue for an upgrade!

7. posguy99 macrumors 6502

<shrug> The battery has a bad cell. It happens.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You don't shrug it off when it's like a middle-aged woman looking for a bathroom.

Thankfully my issue has been corrected by virtue of getting a new phone which was sorely needed for many reasons aside from battery life.