Do the iPod Shuffle earbus work with the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by retrac, Mar 20, 2009.

1. retrac macrumors newbie

retrac

I was just thinking about how cool it would be to use the iPod shuffle headphones with my iPod touch. I really don't like the new shuffle but having a second set of controls when I'm on the train would be really useful. Anybody tried? Does it work?

2. benolathe macrumors newbie

Just bought a new Shuffle last weekend, and already had a Touch. Yes, you can HEAR using the new earbuds on the Touch. But, the built-in controls do not work with the Touch. You still have to control volume, etc using the touch screen.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That's interesting. I have a pair of in-ears that I bought that work fine in both models. Actually haven't unwrapped the shuffles included buds but I would have guessed they'd work.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Does your touch have at least software 2.2 on it? Because that was the first software version that supported the Apple earbuds w/remote.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

My shuffle earbuds do in-fact control my 2nd gen. touch playback functions.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The in-ear headphones also require a 2nd gen touch for full control. Just like how they don't work on an iPhone properly.

I would imagine that a 1st gen touch would support the same features on the shuffle's headphones as it does on the in-ear headphones.

7. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

If I'm correct, the 1st gen Touch WON'T be able to use the playback controls functions of the new Shuffle's headphones, just like it can't use the iPhone's headphone controls.

The headphone jacks on the new Shuffles/iPhones include an extra input that is missing on the first gen Touch. Should work fine on the second gen Touch though.

8. benolathe macrumors newbie

That explains why the earbud controls did not work for my Touch - I have a 1st gen.