Do the iWork apps integrate with MobileMe in any way?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by biosci, Apr 26, 2010.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

I'm still awaiting the arrival of my iPad and was wondering how these apps integrate with the desktop. Do they go via MobileMe? Or just iTunes? I'm a bit worried as I have read a lot of reports here of people who have had the conversion process pretty much ruin their keynotes etc. So would using the iPad for 'work' simply mean that we would have to start, edit, finish, and somehow maybe print to PDF to get something done? Or present a keynote directly from the iPad as long as it was only created on the iPad?

Or is there a MobileMe integration aspect?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry, there is no direct mobile me integration with iWork on the iPad. There are workarounds. To get an iWork doc onto the iPad you can do it via iTunes over a USB cable or you can email it to yourself. Then there are apps like goodreader that allow you to get docs to your iPad from FTP sites and WebDAV sites like mobile me.

Getting iwork docs off iPad is even more restrictive. You pick export and you can email it or save it. But once you export it to a file, the only way to get it off the iPad is via USB with iTunes. Another way to export is to iWork.com.

I expect apple to uograde mobile me but they are painfully slow to do so.

3. gt1948 macrumors regular

gt1948

check out iwork.com (beta)

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

yep, free too (currently lol)

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, and that way is very poorly.

6. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for your responses... I guess this tablet will have to just work for entertainment purposes (vids, reading, games) rather than 'work' which is what I always like to use to justify purchases to 'you know who'.

I thought iWork was part of mobileme but I guess not. If you export your files to iWork, and then download/access it from a desktop, does formatting stay the same or no?

Any luck on Google Docs?

Again, thanks everyone for your input! New to these forums (been on macnn for a long time but was looking for something new)

7. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

iPad is finally the right size to genuinely remote in. :D

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

9. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

In general no, though solutions are slowly getting better for google docs and other potential choices.

Apps to bone up on: Air Sharing HD, Goodreader, Office2HD.

They are basically file-system type apps, have interesting methods of getting documents in/out of them, etc. Some offer things like printing (how novel!), and O2HD claims ultimately they'll be adding office doc editing...

10. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

I don't know that I would hold my breath for MS Office for the iPad.

11. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Office2HD is the best at the mo though still buggy, integration with Mobile Me works great (still baffled how this app can do it and Apple cant from launch)

Hopefully they upgrade the iWork suite as it is a sexy looking bit of software :D

12. RRKPL macrumors member

There has been a lot of comment on the ability to get work on and off the iPad. I've found that though it takes a bit of creativity it's entirely possible to have a productive workflow between home, office and iPad and even between coworkers and iPad.

iWork.com: you can upload any iWork document from your desktop to iWork.com. Once uploaded it is a simple matter to access iWork.com from Safari on the iPad and then download documents you wish to wok on. As far as formatting all you have to remember is that your iPad may not have the same fonts as your desktop so make sure to use common fonts between platforms. Once you have finished a document in any of the iWork apps on the iPad it is easy to upload in multiple formats (pages, word, PDF) and either download at work or provide coworkers with a link to view or download.

iDisk: You can retrieve documents from iDisk through a helper app like airshare and then transfer the documents to the appropriate iWork app and then get them back on iDisk by emailing to yourself an downloading to airshare where you can then move them to the iDisk.

The iDisk method is kind of clunky but workable and the iWork.com interface is actually not a bad start to cloud computing as a concept. This all being new, it will I'm sure improve.

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Any movement on this front since may. I received my ipad for Christmas and i am looking for tips.

I do not have any iwork apps on the iPad yet but i do have them on my imac.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

15. MrMoore macrumors 6502

16. chutney macrumors newbie

cloud works for me

Files have to be saved with iWorks '09 on the mac or they won't open on the iPad. I load all kinds of files to use and show people at work. PFDs only to 30 MB so if they are big you may need to break them down. Once the file is loaded on iPad there is icon with arrow on top bar that will let you open in the right program.