do the keys ever fall off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x Shadow Dragon, May 29, 2007.

1. x Shadow Dragon macrumors regular

on my sisters laptop (dell) the "d" key just fell off and on my friends laptop (dell) the "down" key fell off

so my question is, even if i do type kind of hard (which i dont, just if i happen to) will any of the keys fall off?

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

3. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

good, anyone else

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

nope, and i've been abusing the keyboard for a year with gaming/coding/homework/what have you. unless it got stuck on something and was forced off, it shouldn't fall off.

5. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

ok cool so ur saying if my friend who freaking slams his hand on the keyboard to type (which works), types on my keyboard it will be ok?

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i forgot what key, but it was sorta popping out... i just pushed down really hard it snap backed into place

7. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

yay maybe that will happen if it comes completely off.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

Ummm...tell your friend not to? I'm barely exerting any effort to type on my MacBook right now. Using too much force to press a key hurts after a while.

But I've bashed enough keys in anger and during gaming that as long as it doesnt happen frequently I suppose it's okay?

9. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

ya hell im not gonna let him use it but maybe sometimes he can as a treat :) , i think ill be fine im just wondering if this has actuaklly happened to anyone

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The keys are quite removeable. you can pop them off by pulling a corner upwards. clean them, dig out hairs / ants / whatever, then just push the key back on. The big keys are more tricky, so don't try them first.

I've never had a key just fall off, but my baby toddler girl once got to my iBook and ripped half the keys off. Was worried, but they just snapped back on no probs.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

I dunno about that. Depending on how you pull it off, particularly if you snap part of the mechanism it will never snap back on again. I popped keys off my iBooks to clean the keyboards often, but some of them had to be taped/glued back on cause something broke. :(

12. schmintan macrumors regular

i would love to know what your friends are doing to those laptops to cause the keys to fall off. ive had a few laptops ( started with dell) and i work day to day with dell, HP and toshiba laptops, and ive never had a key fall off or break at all. its not a pc issue, its a user issue.

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have been involved with computers for over 20 years and never had a key fall off :confused:

FJ

14. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

my sisters just fell of while she was typing, my friend was kinda a different stroy, he was playing a game and was i guess pressing the down key a littlle too hard:eek:

15. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

16. njdelyster macrumors newbie

Up Arrow

My up arrow just came off my macbook while I was cleaning it.

Underneath the key on the right there is a little tab which had to fit into a hook on the keyboard. Then just took a bit of pressure and moving the key around for the clips on the left to both get back in.

Result? A slightly looser up arrow key, but nobody will ever know :)