Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007

I just came up with this quick mockup to show what Apple might do to alter those horrible blue popup notifications. They have seriously become pretty stale over the months.

Based on yesterdays revelation of altered iPod controls this may be a look into how message notifications will change as well. What do ya think?

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I would really love it if they implemented something like that, but I really kind of doubt it. I think it would be too big of a change for them to just add in as "one more thing" and not have it being tested through the beta.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I think a swipe down from the top like the BB and Android do it would be more natural, I dunno but I tend to keep my thumb hovering around the bottom third of the screen so it would get covered. It looks nice though and definitely better than what we have now.

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I would really love it if they implemented something like that, but I really kind of doubt it. I think it would be too big of a change for them to just add in as "one more thing" and not have it being tested through the beta.

I agree with ya but would really be a better experience with receiving notifications though. Those iPod controls came out of nowhere too so let's hope they decide to throw us some more UI surprises.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
I think that if apple was going to revise their notification system the most important thing would be to make it not interfere with the current application. My guess is that we will get a revised notification system with OS 5.0 and I think that it will probably reside on the top because applications are already designed to be able to run while the god bar is doubled (Like when your in a phone call or recording something). So my guess would be the god bar would swing down to its phonecall height and the notification would swoop in, swoop out, and the bar would go back up.

Here is my reasoning for why we will get revised notifications in OS5:

2007: iPhone announced, everyone is amazed, they call it the jesus phone, but as the hype dies people start complaining about the fact that it doesn't have 3G or GPS
2008: iPhone 3G: Yay it's just what everyone wanted, it finally has 3G and GPS, oh and look! Now we have apps... But why doesn't it have copy and paste? or MMS, or a Video camera? every other phone on the market does why is apple not listening to their customers...
2009: OMG copy and paste! Look and now we have MMS and tethering too (For non US), and there is that video camera it needed to be a "modern" phone, plus now we have push notifications that will be just as good as multitasking... Or not, how could Apple not have realized we needed to listen to our streaming radio while surfing the web, who cares about how it will effect battery-life I want my true multitasking!
2010: Multitasking! and Folders! and more awesomeness, but look at this, how could apple have not revamped the notification system, its obvious that its annoying, how could they not see their customers need a streamlined notification system, what are they thinking...

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
I think that if apple was going to revise their notification system the most important thing would be to make it not interfere with the current application. My guess is that we will get a revised notification system with OS 5.0 and I think that it will probably reside on the top because applications are already designed to be able to run while the god bar is doubled (Like when your in a phone call or recording something). So my guess would be the god bar would swing down to its phonecall height and the notification would swoop in, swoop out, and the bar would go back up.

2007: iPhone announced, everyone is amazed, they call it the jesus phone, but as the hype dies people start complaining about the fact that it doesn't have 3G or GPS
2008: iPhone 3G: Yay it's just what everyone wanted, it finally has 3G and GPS, oh and look! Now we have apps... But why doesn't it have copy and paste? or MMS, or a Video camera? every other phone on the market does why is apple not listening to their customers...
2009: OMG copy and paste! Look and now we have MMS and tethering too (For non US), and there is that video camera it needed to be a "modern" phone, plus now we have push notifications that will be just as good as multitasking... Or not, how could Apple not have realized we needed to listen to our streaming radio while surfing the web, who cares about how it will effect battery-life I want my true multitasking!
2010: Multitasking! and Folders! and more awesomeness, but look at this, how could apple have not revamped the notification system, its obvious that its annoying, how could they not see their customers need a streamlined notification system, what are they thinking...

Well said.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Well said.

I disagree, I have a feeling that we will see some soft of notification update with the new iPhone as that will make it tie in with it being marketed as a phone that keeps you connected in real time (front facing camera, Game Centre). So an iPhone 4 OS only feature of widgets?

anonymouz1828

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2009

They do that one by one so you will feed them every year. New feature (jailbreak) = new phone = $$$ .. I am addicted to it and will buy 4g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.