Do the new Macbook Pros burn your legs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottC2105, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ScottC2105 macrumors member

Quick question, do the new Macbook Pros burn your legs off like the old ones while playing, say, World of Warcraft?

Thanks.

2. T10HJS macrumors member

My MBP gets really hot and yes starts burning my leg, i was going to ask if this is normal but if you say the old MBP does to then i guess it is.

3. Vodka macrumors regular

4. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

lol was running an instance today (SM) on my feb mbp, finished up, and my legs had huge red marks across them and hurt. Damn you game immersion

5. TheJayWay macrumors member

When I compare my old rev. A MBP to my new unibody one its not even a contest really. The new one runs 10-15 degrees cooler in almost every situation with a lower fan speed. I'm not sure if the ventilation is just that much better designed, but its definitely an improvement in the "legs-on-fire" situation!

6. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

No matter what computer you use, if you're gaming you shouldn't run it on your lap at all. For every other use the unibody mbp won't burn your legs. Gaming pushes the hardware so it's going to get really hot which is why you should use it on a desk. I've got smc fan control and rev the fans to 6000 before I play and it only gets warm instead of hot on the
    keyboard. I'm sure the bottom is hot but I use my desk and external mouse.

7. ManWithhat macrumors regular

My new MBP gets hot right above the F2 / F3 keys and the same place on the bottom side. I sit cross-legged so that that spot is not touching my legs, which also keeps the laptop cooler. I run my fans at 6000rpm at all times. Keeps it fairly temperate. Haven't had any problems, yet. Hope this helps!

8. duncanm macrumors member

9. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

My new MBP runs much cooler than the old one. I've been pretty suprised actually. The old used to get really hot. I can actually put this one on my lap!

10. nicfargo macrumors member

Not Really

The new MPB doesn't get nearly as hot as my old roommate's from two years ago got, I think his was just a normal macbook though, or maybe even a powerbook...I'm not for sure. That thing would actually cook your leg. I can play WoW on mine and it gets warm, but not too hot. The only place it really gets hot is between the F1, F2, F3 keys and the monitor. That little band of aluminum there gets real hot!

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

LOL!!! hahaha :D

The new Unibody MBPs do not get as hot as previous machines. If you install SMCfan control it will allow you to wind up the fans and blow heat out faster, keeping the temps very low even under load.

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Compared to a PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz, and four MacBook Pros up to the SR one, the new unibody MBPs are cooler - but still not "cold". Heavy use will get them uncomfortable, but not the "ow ow ow ow" that you used to get.