Do the new Macbooks have better headphone outputs than the previous models?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MontrealMonger, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MontrealMonger macrumors member

I`ve got an earlier whitebook and the weak headphone output has always driven me up a wall, along with the tinny sound of its onboard speakers. Have these been improved in the new alum units and if so, how significant a difference would you guys say it is?

2. Skyldig macrumors regular

From the rewievs I've read so far, the speakers on the MB have been improved significantly. I don't own one myself yet, so I don't know for sure. I also have no idea about the headphone-output. :(

3. sfroom macrumors regular

The headphone jack is most definitely different. I'm not sure whether its better or not, but it has been updated to work with the microphone input on the iPhone headphones, which definitely required a physical mod to the port.

Not sure if this answers your question though.

4. kellte2 macrumors regular

the headphone jack REALLY drives IEMs and my Sennheiser cans like no other computer I've had before. For my IEMs, I only have volume up to two and its plenty.

They definitely put some power behind that power.

5. MontrealMonger thread starter macrumors member

That`s great news! The older ones were so low and weak it was outrageous. It`s getting harder and harder to resist the upgrade-itis urge!

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Yeah, the volume is definitely stronger. On my 2007 MacBook, I usually had headphone volume at almost halfway. With the same headphones on the new model, I max it at 4 bars. I am sitting here in bed in total quiet and 1 bar is almost too loud.