Do the new ones have light bleed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by btownguy, Sep 3, 2011.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I have an early iPad 2 with some light bleed. Opened a ticket with apple support but haven't taken it in yet bc all the early ones seemed to have the issue. So do the ones coming out now still have the light bleed issue? Would really like to swap it out if I can get a bleed-free one.

2. Coasterfanryan macrumors regular

I've had mine for 3 weeks and no light bleeding at all.

3. ATC, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

ATC macrumors 6502a

Gone through 3 iPad 2s in the last month and all had varying degrees of light bleed, but even the one with the least bleed had it bad enough that I ended up returning it. I may try again later this year. FWIW, I'm in Canada; maybe our stocks up here are dated.

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Got one about a week ago and no issue at all!

5. RayK macrumors 6502

No light bleed on mine that I've had since may.

6. CoolBoyGcp macrumors newbie

I just bought a 64gb 3G white iPad 2 on last Friday and light bleed at all I heard that the light bleed was caused by the glue that bonds the screen that wasn't dry yet. So it should be dry so maybe you should make an appointment with the genius bar at your local apple store. But it may just be better to get a new one.

7. preppy macrumors member

preppy

Bought ours two weeks ago from the apple store, no light bleed at all....

8. jlluna macrumors 6502

I just got a new I pad 2 a few days ago, and I do not have any light bleed. This is my second iPad 2 and the first one was an early release iPad and that one did have light bleed. So they must have fixed that problem.

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Believe it or not, I've had 4 units, none of which had a light bleed issue. All 4 have had dust/residue under the screen. One of them had 3 dead pixels, and the one I'm on now has a stuck blue pixel. Two of the four have had scratches on the glass out of the box (both in the black bezel area). One had a scratched casing out of the box.

The Apple store (genius and manager) as well as an assistant to Tim Cook himself have made it clear that they are no longer going to help me correct these issues. So if you have a little light bleed and that's the only imperfection you are dealing with, consider yourself lucky.

10. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Well, I don't believe it. Tim Cook's assistant would not be bothered with you and your four ipad returns. SO my guess is your leaving a whole lot out or your making up stories. If you want to go play fantasy, please do it on a creative writing site, don't waste it on here.

As far as light bleed, I bought my ipad on day 1, and have no light bleed issues what-so-ever.

11. radzad macrumors newbie

Hate to say this but, pix or it didn't happen.

12. seong macrumors 65816

seong

If you have the one with light bleed, I believe you can always make an appointment at the Genius Bar and discuss about it. There is no way that a $500+ product have any kind of defect.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I was at my wit's end with the Apple store and decided to make a last ditch effort and email tim cook himself. He didn't reply to me directly but had one of his executive relations people call me on the phone. Maybe I chose poor wording when I said assistant, my apologies.

Either way, she basically told me that "these things are not being used on the Hubble telescope and they're not going to be 100% perfect and I hope that in the end you got a unit you were satisfied with."

I told her I could live with the one I had now because I could see that the conversation was not really going anywhere. I am still glad I have my iPad and the minor issues with it are not enough for me to pursue things any further. I realized it's time to stop being so OCD about my stuff and realize that they're not going to be perfect.

Besides I'm not sure what you think I would have to gain by making that story up. I'm no Apple hater and I'm not trying to troll. Just wanted to make it known that Apple will only humor you for so long.

15. rafsterT macrumors newbie

got mine replaced

got my ipad replaced two days ago. The first one I got in april and it had pretty bad light bleeding. Got mine returned 2 days ago and the new one is flawless.

16. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Actually I appreciate your response, As i said it did not sound right to me that Tim's assistant/s would be bothered with your four ipads. I also know that I have had completely different experiences with Apple customer service, and Apple's customer relations. I have brought in two phones, where I broke the screen, and Apple replaced it for free, even though it was not only out of warrantee, and we all know the broken screen is not covered by Apple care.
    I have had a laptops logic board replaced three times (for free), the last when it was out of warrantee as well.
    I am surprised that an executive relations representative would tell you that it doesn't need to be 100% perfect. Because you, as the consumer, should expect that it is, when you receive it. That being said, I have seen several people at the genius bar complaining of light bleed, but not being able to produce a light bleed issue of any substance.
    How does light bleed effect your ipad when it is in use, and not looking at a black image?

I also think that it is good that you realize that you may have OCD issues, and that you are in control of them, at least as far as your ipad goes.:D

17. Reddmanz macrumors regular

Bought mine first week it was available in the UK. It has some light bleed along the right hand edge which I tested for and found the first night I got it. I considered taking it back but couldnt bring myself to let go of it at the time.

I can honestly say I have not once noticed it/found it annoying since then. i actually had to just google "black screen" and turn the lights off in the room to see if it was still there!

18. danny_w macrumors 601

I got one almost 2 weeks ago and it was perfect in every way. I ended up returning it because I simply did not use it enough, but it had nothing to do with any quality complaint with the example that I had.

19. Lindenhurst, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Had mine for a few weeks now and couldn't care less wherer it has light bleed or not. Haven't spent any time trying to find something wrong with the iPad. Works great, and that's enough for me.

I am sure that if I Put it under a microscope, I could find something wrong with it, but why do that?

20. Jottle macrumors 6502

It's really luck of the draw. Some have it, some don't. I got a new one today with a late October build date. It has mild light bleed along one side. You have to decide whether you want to risk exchanging it and getting one with worse bleed, dead pixels, imperfection etc. Or decide whether you can live with some bleeding. I've exchanged so many lcd-based products for light bleeding, until I realized its endemic to the lcd panel technology. Most will exhibit this light bleed, some will be imperceptible to the naked eye. It's a lottery...

21. McRCN macrumors regular

Mine was purchased one the first day they were sold and no light bleed here.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is pretty much just a reality of mass production and lcd technology. Now there probably are ways to get it almost visually perfect across every unit including binned panels as in cherry picking the best panels off the line while the others are used for less expensive units, and using custom panel blocking algorithms to even out uniformity, but this would severely impact the price of the unit, and how many could be shipped per quarter. I don't think these methods are feasible in Apple's shipping volume, but the crank out an insane number of unibody macbook airs, so you never know :p (if you look at one, they have a really slim margin of error for building those things).

23. sionharris macrumors regular

I have light bleed but I don't notice it unless I'm looking for it. It's never once bothered me.

24. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I had the original launch day iPad 2 and the light bleed was terrible. I just got a new one tonight and it's extremely better. I think I have one or two tiny spots and that's it. It's definitely improved in my experience.