Do the non-retina Macbook Pros still have upgradeable hardrives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noam Chomsky, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Noam Chomsky macrumors newbie

Hi all - quick question: does anyone know if the MD101B/A non-retina Macbook pro (the one on this page: http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101B/A) has a hard drive that you can upgrade yourself?

The official answer is no. But my 2009 15" Macbook Pro's harddrive is supposed to be not upgradeable by the user, but in reality it was pretty easy.

Before I drop a serious chunk of money on a machine I want to know that I can upgrade the hard drive myself - anyone got any wisdom?

Thanks!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Where ?

(my (non-official) :D answer is : YES)

3. Noam Chomsky thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good news! Thanks.

The official answer came from live chat. I asked him if it was a SATA drive and he didn't know. Do you know if it's SATA?

Cheers

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, non retina MBPs have hard drives that can be upgraded.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

From your link :

"Hard Drive
    Your MacBook Pro comes standardised with a 5,400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive. Or you can choose a solid-state drive that offers enhanced durability.
    The larger the capacity (in gigabytes, or GB) of your hard drive, the more space is available to store your files and applications. A typical application today may take 10–50 megabytes (MB), photos may take up about 2–4MB each, graphics files can occupy more than 100MB and video files are often many gigabytes in size.

MacBook Pro also offers an optional 128GB, 256GB or 512GB solid-state drive, which has no moving parts for enhanced durability. These are SATA solid-state drives, which are up to four times faster than a traditional hard drive."

6. Noam Chomsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the live chat guy was saying those are customisations on orders, but can't be upgraded afterwards, even if I take it to the apple shop. On the phone to tech support right now to have another chat.

7. Noam Chomsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with Tech Support. The guy really didn't know the answer to the question. The drive is SATA, but he said it's going to be a lot harder than it used to be to pop the drive out and replace. How much harder, I don't know. Any guesses? Anyone looked inside one of the latest non-retinas? Any advice really appreciated.

Cheers

8. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Checkout the repair guides at ifixit. Drive swap in non-retina is almost trivial as long as you have patient and the correct screwdrivers.

9. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

Exactly the same procedure to upgrade current 13" non-retina mbp as your 2009 15" mbp.

----------

Tech support guys are clueless. The drive bay design did not change in current non retina model compared to all mbp from 2008 ie the aluminum unibody models.

10. Noam Chomsky thread starter macrumors newbie

You can say that again. I had to explain to him what a SATA connection is. I think their primary role is to explain to people how to set up Time Machine. If you reckon the bay hasn't changed then I'll go ahead and get it. Thanks a bunch for the help guys.

Wilf

11. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

I don't reckon .. I know since I've had many mbp including the latest 13" non retina model which I replaced the hard disk with an ssd and it took about 5min to do.

12. Noam Chomsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Life saver. Do you have any wisdom for the retina models? I'm guessing they're a lot less upgradeable.

13. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

Haven't done it myself, but here are instructions on the late 2012 and early 2013 models. You can buy several third party ssd that are compatible.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...etina-display-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

Latest models follow similar procedure but problem is that there aren't any 3rd party ssd you can buy that are compatible.