Do the # of APPS installed in iTunes affect Computer speed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plasmo, Feb 17, 2009.

1. plasmo macrumors member

Suddenly my computer has been crawling to unbearable sluggish speeds.

I traced it down to iTunes. My computer nearly comes to a halt when trying to sync my iPhone, and is much better when I exit iTunes.

Does anyone else have this problem? I tried to uninstall iTunes, and reinstall, but still the same problem.

I have about 200 Apps downloaded into iTunes, (not all loaded on the iPhone though), and am wondering if this could be the issue.

Any help appreciated. Even typing this thread is taking forever!

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

To me, iTunes is a loaded down crap software worthy of Microsoft. I don't think it's Apps specifically, but I know what you mean. Look at my signature, even my machine comes to a crawl when I'm using iTunes.

3. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

seriously,

i don't want to start a silly itunes flame thread, or mac vs. pc thread.

we are stuck using iTunes to sync, and my computer had no speed issues since installing iTunes 2 yrs ago, until now.
    Just wanted to see if people have found that unused installed Apps cause a slowdown in general...

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

My laptop (Dell XPS M1710) has always run iTunes great. I never understood the complaints.

But as far as I know, the number of apps should have no effect on the performance.

And keep in mind, Givers computer has almost double my CPU speed.

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

iTunes takes my otherwise very capable 1 ghz G4 and turns it into into a giant beachball fest. I do high resolution photoshop work on this machine and it responds to my commands nearly instantly, yet just having itunes open in the background means I get a beachball every few seconds when I'm just surfing the web. iTunes is the worst performing app I've ever used on a recurring basis. The only reason why I even open it is because I need it to transfer songs and podcasts onto my ipod.