Do the screens scratch and smudge easily?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ThisIsMyName, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

Wondering if i should get a screen protector.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

they are scratch resistant, the most ive seen before. They are NOT scratch proof however. I'd get a protector.

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

They scratch and smudge as easily as the windows in your car. The front is plain ol' glass.

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

5. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I've had mine since they first came available...and am not the nicest owner to it. It stays unprotected in my pocket almost at all times and have yet to scratch the screen. The back on the other hand, is pretty much destroyed...I'd put that front screen protector on the back ;)

6. BennyK macrumors 6502

My front doesnt scratch but wow, a crazy amount of smudges!!! I cant stand them. I'll be getting an invisible shield for the front.

7. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

You know that will do nothing to stop the smudging, right? I mean, you'll still have to clean it off just like if you had nothing on it at all... kind of- well, really, really pointless.

8. sgtboy macrumors 6502

So an IS will not help at all with fingerprints etc? I was thinking of one, but not sure now

9. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Well, there won't be any fingerprints directly on your device, as they technically will be on the shield. However, as you may have guessed from the name, it will look as though the smudges and prints are on your device.

My opinion is that the only place it is worth having an Invisible Shield is stricly off of the screen. The screen is so hard to scratch, and so easy to clean, that it would be foolish to add extra protection. I've had an iPhone, an iPod Touch 1G, and an iPod Touch 2G, all of which never once got a scratch on the screen (and no, I was not overly careful). Just buy the IS for the back/sides, and get a nice silicon case to absorb shocks that may otherwise cause a cracked screen (and no, the Invisible shield will not help to absorb shock :rolleyes:).

10. BennyK macrumors 6502

I completely 100% disagree with you . I have an ipod without a shield, my dad has one with a shield. The smudges from fingers show up much more on my ipod than his. If you touch something that is glass vs plastic, glass retains the finger oils aka smudges much better than the plastic does. I have tested this myself side my side and his touch with the Invisible shield does not need to be wiped off once a day like mine does. Same goes for the backside of the iPod.

11. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

I've a Moshi pocket for the Touch. But I think scratches will appear eventually.

At least the pocket can clean out the fingerprints easily.

12. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Well then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I am 101% :)p) sure that it looks exactly the same with and without the shield.

13. Joanna.Kiyoné macrumors newbie

Personally I hate shields because of the 'disease like' airbubbles they cause. I have mine without a shield, smudges yes but scratches no. The back however scratches like a b***h so I'll get a case to deal with that.

14. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I can't speak for other screen protectors, but I use a Power Support Crystal Film Set on my iPod Touch, and you only get bubbles under it if you don't apply it correctly.

15. A N G E L macrumors member

A N G E L

I see why people should get some kind of cover/protector so the back won't scratch, but if anything, you can't prevent any device from getting your finger prints or getting smudges from your hands. haha