Do the speck cases still scratch on the new rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Aug 26, 2013.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

When I was buying my MBP pre retina after looking in many threads I chose against a speck case. There were just too many stories of people removing them and finding the speck case had scratched the laptop either from the case itself causing damage or by trapping dust/ dirt.

Does anyone have experience with the speck cases for the rMBP? Do they still have this problem?

2. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

It seems to be the general consensus that any plastic hardcase will do this if you do not clean them once in a while from the dirt and stuff being stuck in between. However as long as you clean it out every so often you should be fine. Also, the scratch situation seems to be a little over blown as well. If it does scratch the aluminum it is very tiny. It's not like a key scratch or anything. Personally, I'd rather have a few tiny hairline scratches over bumping and denting without a case any day. Anyways, just clean it out and you will be fine.

3. red321red321 macrumors regular

I would urge against using a hardshell case, especially the bottom portion at least. It causes much increased temps.

4. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any temperature increase at all. Is yours increased by a lot?

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

No issues here... Have the clear Speck hardshell for almost a year now. Cleaned it maybe 3-4 times.

No scratches or temp issues!

6. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

False, rMBP is not using the bottom case to dissipate heat.
    there are intake and exhaust vents.

Regarding scratches, i'm not sure about speck but it is true that if you don't clean it often, dust and solid particles can get in between the macbook aluminium shell and the case.

the friction due to small particles are the one that is causing the scratch, not the case.

7. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which MBP have you found this with?

8. ~Achilles~ macrumors member

I dont get the reasoning behind using these hard cases. Are you preserving it's aesthetics for the dude you might end up selling it to a few years down the line?

All I see it as is limiting your own experience & enjoyment with the machine. Its built to look good and enjoy, dont cover it up. Use a sleeve/carry case, and be more careful.

9. wmage macrumors member

Heat goes out through aluminium too, and since aluminium is more conductive than plastic, thermal conduction is faster and so not using a case is a tiny bit better.

Maybe I'll measure some temps with and without and let you know, but the bottom case does transfer a little heat, so there might be something about the theory.

10. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

Not true.I installed yesterday on my Macbook pro non retina a Speck case and a keyboard cover,look bellow.

The top reading is from before applying the case and kb cover and the one under is after installing them after 2 hours of movie streaming.So nothing changed,as I'm typing went down to 48ºC.

[​IMG]

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Alternatively. You could use a shield such as a zagg shield and use a carry case. That's what I have been doing with Macbooks for years and so far so good.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say with any case, if any dust/sand or debris that gets in, will scratch the laptop. Personally I'd rather not take that chance but YMMV

13. 9512tacoma macrumors member

cMBP with clear speck case

I just purchased the speck hard shell case for my 2012 cMBP and I am going to be careful and clean it every few weeks. I had the hardshell case for my ipad 2 and did not pay much attention and after my kids used it for awhile I took it off and sure enough it did ding up the aluminum on the back after dust and particles got into it. Still I would rather have the protection on the macbook pro than none at all.

14. red321red321 macrumors regular

I believe this is correct, the bottom aluminum helps to dissipate heat. Run the Macbook Pro at full load, then take off the bottom case and you'll feel how hot it gets.

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've had a black satin finish all-round Speck on my rMBP since day one. I take it off once a month and give the Mac a good clean...No sign of a single scratch or mark on it.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Same here no temp increase with my rMBP "15. :apple:

17. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Agreed I think it is work using it to avoid denting it and getting it beat up. It might just be me because I'm kind if clumsy but I know it's only a matter time before I ding it up.

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah I am pleased with clear Speck hardshell. :apple:

19. a1mbient macrumors newbie

Not sure about scratches, but they do bend your screen backwards at the edges... I just bought this POS this evening, this is what it does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I latched it on as tight as I could, looks like the latches are in place... And now I can't remove the thing, either. I had to book a service appointment at Apple to get them to deal with it.

So in summary... if you like your the retina screen on your $2500-$3000 MBP bent backwards like a cheap toy buy a $50 piece of plastic... buy a Speck product. Needless to say, I am never touching their junk again.