Do the usb slots on Apple Keyboards still have low power issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vantagecb, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Vantagecb macrumors member

I have a unibody macbook (late 2008) and I am setting up my clamshell setup.

I play a lot of games and I require mouse + headset (both usb). If I use the apple keyboard with two usb slots can it power a mouse and headset? I heard that it cannot power ipods and stuff like that but that does not matter to me. I tried googling for awhile but all the threads I found were from 2007.

Edit: Also, i've noticed that my hands have started to show early signs of problems from possible typing and/or gaming. How is this keyboard when it comes to stress on the hands?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

the keyboards dont have a lot of power. but they have adequate power. a mouse will run great, but you might get mixed results trying to charge something off of it.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have the aluminum keyboard connected to my MacBook Pro and it can power my USB receiver for my Logitech MX Revolution and most flash drives. So it can definitely power a mouse, I've not tried a headset but I would assume that they don't take up much power. If nothing else you could get a USB extender cord to connect your headset, they come with most flash drives so you might already have one.

4. Vantagecb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I don't plan on charging anything through the keyboard, but I wanted to use the mouse + headset plugged into the keyboard then the spare slot on the macbook itself could be used to charge something.

Anyone know if a usb headset can be powered through the keyboard without a large loss of quality?