Do these ads scare you away?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by waloshin, Feb 10, 2012.

1. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Fixed that for you.

:D

2. simsaladimbamba

The 20 seconds loading time and the CPU usage do.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I don't know where you get 20 seconds I get around 4 with my cache emptied.

4. simsaladimbamba

I guess it was just Safari (slow load and CPU usage). I tested your site in Aurora and it did load fast and CPU usage was below 5 %. Safari spiked to 90 % during loading and scrolling your page.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ok.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Haha why?

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The ads are a bit big, I'd think it was some advertising site if I didn't know the creator was a Macrumors member.

That being said they actually don't look too bad. I've seen much more invasive ads.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The ad size to content value ratio is high in this one.

10. bbeers macrumors regular

bbeers

At first I was like, No not at all. In fact what ADs. Then I realized that I had AD blocking plugin running. Turned that off and was like ohhh those ADs. They are not horrible but not subtle enough either.

I don't mind a website with ADs as long as the content is there to warrant it, and the ADs are now in my face. The AD at the bottom is fine, but there is just something about and AD in your banner that just doesn't feel right. It might be the size it might be the placement I am not sure.

Just my 2 cents

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

No. But I had to remember to turn off my ad-blocker. I was all set to come back with a sarcastic "what ads?".... do keep that in mind. I'll bet that ads like these are going to become less effective over time. Ad blockers are becoming more common.

What did bother me was the "Advertize on this site" nav button, along with the topic headings. That indicates to me that this blog exists to capture advertizers, and that content is secondary. If that is not your intention, put the 'advertize with on this site' down along with a 'contact us' link. If someone to advertize, they will find you. If someone doesn't want to advertize - then you should make them believe that your blog is about content. imho, of course.

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I for some reason can't exit your site i.e. close the tab without my chrome freezing... weird :/

13. jwm2 macrumors regular

The ads seem fine to me. They aren't too invasive and they don't clutter the design. You might think about using text ads for either the top or the bottom, whichever you prefer. That should help loading time and keep the site looking it best.