Do these Beats Solo 2 Headphones look fake?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lite426, Oct 19, 2015.

1. lite426, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

lite426 macrumors regular

When I check the serial number for my beats headphones on apple self solve it says not found.

2. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Packaging seems fine, even the wrapping.

Price raises a few eyebrows though. Assuming they're real, I'm guessing stolen? Or someone held onto the free pair they got with their Mac for an entire month before deciding to sell them on.

3. lite426 thread starter macrumors regular

When I tried looking for the serial number on the Apple Self Solve webpage, it couldn't find it. Is that a bad sign?

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Probably fake. The fakes nowadays are 1:1 replicas packaging and design-wise.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes. It would be a cause of some concern to me.

Now, firstly did you buy them from a reputable store?

Secondly, were they considerably cheaper than you might have expected to pay had you bought them from a reputable source?

If the answer to the first question is no, and if the answer to the second is an affirmative - in other words - a yes - then, it is quite likely that they are not genuine.

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, I go these Beats for a good deal from Ebay, and they look a little different from the original pics:

[​IMG]

7. lite426 thread starter macrumors regular

It turns out that actually the self solve webpage can't find ANY Beats serial numbers. Bought from eBay brand new, £80, considerably cheaper the retail price of £169. So yes, both of these might indicate they were fake but the seller provided me the receipt that showed they got it on the offer free with a MacBook, and assured me they were real. In the end I believed they were real, but I decided to sell them on for £100 as they seemed quite poorly reviewed.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm confused. I know Apple purchased Beats, but why would you try to enter that serial number on Apple Self Serve page which is only for Apple Hardware? The reason nothing comes up is because Beats headphones technically aren't Apple hardware.

I mean, unless something changed and Beats hardware now have Apple-formatted serial number? Also, there is no AppleCare for Beats as far as I know, so Apple Self-Serve wouldn't work for your headphones.

Anybody can chime, confirm?

9. lite426, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

lite426 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh okay, I see now. You're probably right, I just wasn't aware of that. As Beats can be purchased from the Apple Store, as well as the fact that you can get tech/repair support on the site specifically for Beats products, and when I went on Apple chat and asked about it they seemed just as confused as I was about why their system couldn't find the number, AND most misleadingly of all, when you click on the link on the Self Solve page where it says "Finding your serial number is easy. See how" it takes you to this page where it lists Beats: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204308 - which would indicate to me that technically Beats products ARE indeed Apple hardware , I thought their serial numbers would show up.