Do these sound suspicious and which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jun 15, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ebay:

1) Hello
    Can you give me a shipping cost to Chile? maybe trought www.usps.com , You can find a shipping cost in the "calculate postage" section.
    And can you mark the item as a "gift" with a lower price? for the customs...(post office)
    or maybe as other with a lower price....
    I will pay you trought paypal of course

2) Hi, I have recently moved to a new apts. It will take some time to verify this address but I need a new mac ASAP. Would you ship this mac today for tomorrow delivery? Thank you and waiting for your soon reply

3) Hello,

I am really intrested in your item and I need it right away because it will
    be a gift. Please email me the final price including shipping to Spain via
    FedEx 3 Days Express. For payment I prefer to use an escrow service that
    protects both buyer and seller against fraud. I will pay the shipping and
    escrow fees. If we agree on the price, we can start the escrow process today
    and you can have the money in a few days.

Thanks,
    Fabian

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All 3 sound suspicious and I wouldn't choose any of them

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Rules For Selling Items Online

1) Do NOT ship overseas to an unverified address.

2) Do NOT ship to Nigeria or Manchester, UK.

3) Do NOT ship to someone who can't use proper grammar, or says "i'm waiting on you to reply soon".

4) Do NOT ship to anyone that uses the word "dear" as a reference to you.

Do not accept any of those offers, the money will be sent from stolen PayPal accounts.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait, what?

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There was a spate of Nigerian scams using Manchester address's.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

and Mancunians...;)

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Again, they all sound like scams. If someone has to explain their story to you, it's almost certainly going to be a scam.

What you need to do, and I've said this in other ebay threads, is sell it through craigslist, and accept cash only. You might not get as much as you would through ebay, but if you set certain conditions for your sale (cash only, sell local, meet at a public place, etc...) there is a much smaller chance of you getting scammed.

8. joro macrumors 68020

joro

And what I’d really like to say is that this "escrow service" will send you one thousand Euros and you just need to send make a modest processing fee of 200...:rolleyes:

SCAM!

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Usually if they don't include what you're selling in their email, it's a scam.
    Like when they use "item" and have poor grammar, tell-tale signs.

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

In the words of a wise man: It's a trick, get an axe.

I swear, stuff like this is why I stopped using eBay. Craigslist is getting like that as well.

12. daferrisda macrumors member

Make sure you get paid via PayPal and call PayPal, there to ones that would cover you if anything goes wrong, so best check with them about your 3 questions.

13. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

+1

14. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

The Ebay account is located in the U.S, he wants it shipped to Chille. I talked to Paypal through the phone, and they said as long as the address is confirmed and the money is in my paypal account then I can ship the Item.

* The buyer wants me to put the item as $100, and as a gift. Now if they item got stolen would I only get $100.00 back?

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Don't do it. It is most definitely a scam. Just ignore them and re-list if if you really want to sell it through ebay. The paypal account is most likely a stolen account, or he will be paying using a stolen credit card. Yeah, you'll get the money in your paypal account, but after you ship the item the true owner of the money will set up a dispute with paypal. Then you're SOL.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you declare the item as being worth $100 and insure it with the shipper, the most you can insure it for is $100, so if it gets lost or damaged, that's the most you will get. Then someone is on the hook for the remaining value and it won't be a fun fight. That's even assuming it's legit, which it probably isn't. And I'm sure it's illegal to declare something for less than it's value, tell the shipper you'd rather not participate in tax evasion.

Yeah, in my experience, you can do everything by the book with PayPal, and if a chargeback is filed, you're SOL because 99% of the time, PayPal sides with the buyer in a chargeback dispute, even if you did everything right.

Craigslist and cash only is really the best way to go when selling things.

17. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Couldn't agree more; I'd pass on every one of these scammers...

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's right! And why would they give you more since you said it was only worth $100???

and what does Paypal do if it gets stolen? do they refund the buyer's money if he never receives the stolen package?

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent. These seller's commandments should be memorised and cited often whenever anyone asks whether an offer is a scam or not. All of those scenarios sound like scams to me. Don't touch any of them with a bargepole and ask yourself seriously, why would anyone wish you to publicly state a different price than what you are actually asking for?

Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

Cheers and good luck

20. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

1. scam
    2. scam
    3. scam (escro service? Come on how many of these are not scams?)