Do they check the Student # against the Name?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ~David, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ~David macrumors regular

~David

Just wondering something about the educational offers. I'm about to place the order for my MacBook, and I was just wondering if they check the name you provide against the Student Number you enter?

The reason I ask is because I am purchasing my MacBook under my Sister's student information (With her consent, obviously) and I need to know if I can put my name in the order or if I need to put hers.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They don't, but you shouldn't be doing this...

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

yes and now their going to send you to APPLE JAIL where you have to e-mail someone to help you on a windows machine but wait you get the BSOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You can put her name in and ship it to you. Along with your payment.

5. mm1250 macrumors 6502

The Apple Online store does not do any screening. I know this for a fact, ;) Just choose your sister's college and you can use all YOUR information for the order.

To be honest i'm quite surprised Apple doesn't have any sound checks for the EDU store.

6. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

They don't do any checks at all? :eek:

Then couldn't you just use anyone's student number? Heh.

Anyways, thanks :)

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

They do checks occasionally, more of a random thing.

But what student number? When I bought my laptop I don't recall entering any student number, I just clicked on the Education store, selected my school, and off I went.

(I actually am a college student before someone gets on my case, lol)

8. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

Before entering the education store, it asks me to select a College/University and to enter my student number.

9. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

I wish they did. You need to verify that you're a student for ADC. Why not Edu Discount?

The discount's for students as they generally cant afford to pay full price for software. No for people who just dont want to pay full price because they're cheap :\

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It doesn't me. My friend just ordered a MacBook and it didn't ask for hers either. But of course I also had to pay $116 for Leopard with my discount.

11. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Apple has no way of making the student verification process any better than it is. The way university security and privacy policies are set up, they are unable to disclose anything about students that attend the school, especially to a corporation. Apple would therefore have to contact every student and demand a copy of a student card, or registration/timetable, etc. which would be a pain in the neck.

12. psingh01 macrumors 65816

there is very little apple can do. the worst is just refuse to sell to you in which case you are in no worse shape than you are in now.

13. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

I am a student, I'm just in Secondary still (graduating this year), so I couldn't get the offer. I have no more money than any Uni/College student (if not less.)

14. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I was surprised myself that they didn't require me to enter a student ID number. I just looked up my college and it took me to the TSTC-Waco store and I ordered my MacBook. Seems like the biggest flaw in that is the fact that people could cheat the system and while they aren't actually students they could get the discount. The same is true though if they did require a student ID because some could still get access to a student ID from a friend and use their friend's name but that is better than just anyone being able to select a school and get the discount.

15. mock5120 macrumors newbie

They never checked my ID

I bought two macs while in college, one online and one in-store. Neither asked for any kind of proof of being a college student. I have, however, been asked to show a student ID to buy a few accessories in-store, though I think they have changed quite a few of their policies on student discounts for accessories and peripherals (as in I don't think they discount them any more).

16. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That's a Canadian thing. Can't speak to other locations, but for as long as I'm been poking around the CDN Education store, it asks for the college/university and student ID number before giving entry.

I'm surprised you had to pay that much for Leopard. Did you check with your campus reseller? I know that the online Educ price isn't as good as in the past, but that many campus retailers are selling at significant education discounts ($69). Hooray for bulk purchases, I suppose.

17. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

They do regular random checks. several of my friends have all been asked to prove their student status by faxing a copy of their Student ID photocard. And they lived on campus, too :rolleyes:

18. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Just do it legitimately and get your sister to buy it and then ship it to you or give it to you.

19. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

antibact1 is right on this subject.

do you have to be a student of the school that has an apple education program? the closest school I know of with a apple store is about a 7 hour drive..if I went there could I present my school's id and still get the discount? or do i have to be a student of that school? do the on campus stores offer better discounts on laptops? or are they the same as online? anyone able to check for me???:apple:

20. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

You can be a student anywhere and get the education discount, in fact if you look on line and search for your school you will be surprised at the amount of schools on the list. If you decide to make the 7 hour drive to the Apple Store and show them your student ID they should also give you the discount. It isn't limited to certain schools, as far as I know.

21. Veri macrumors 6502a

I thought the discount was because students (even the well-off mature ones) and teachers (even the tenured professors) exist in an important environment for encouraging growth of the Apple platform. The teachers have great clout to encourage their students / department toward Apple, and the students are budding developers / designers / whatever who will want to see Apple in the workplace, also putting the brand in the classroom and dorm room. This is worth 10%, given Apple's high margins. The charity is incidental, as well as apparently good PR ;).