Do they even make thin 15" PC laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, Feb 8, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

The MacBook Pro is only 1.0" thick, which seems to be the thinnest you can make a laptop and still fit a DVI port on it and such. For some reason, every PC laptop with a 15.4" screen that I can find is between 1.38 and 1.5" thick, but the weights are comparable to the MacBook Pro. Can anyone name a thinner 15" PC laptop? I am really curious, because I want a new computer, and I want to at least know what the non-Mac competition is like.

Also, do you think thickness or thinness is important? You notice the weight of the computer in your bag, but do you really notice the thickness? Yet for some reason, I still like thin laptops. Maybe it is because Madison Avenue has brainwashed me with their ads showcasing anorexic laptops.

2. nikiski macrumors regular

I like thin notebooks. Who likes carrying a phone directory around? :p

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

When I switched from a Dell Laptop to a MB, yeah, I noticed the thinness. Made my briefcase much less bulky, though weight was roughly the same.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Look into Asus laptops--the V6V is an example.

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

The HP/Compaq 8510P (or W) is almost as thin as an MBP. It's also one of the lightest 15" PC laptops around. Also has a magnesium lid and frame; too bad the rest of the exterior is plastic :(

6. Macsleuth macrumors member

It's noticable

I like the fact that I can carry a thinner bag round with my MBP.
    The larger bags also add weight.
    I can hardly wait to swap this MBP out for my 15" Inspiron laptop.
    The bag and laptop weigh a ton, it's also bulky.
    My new MBP and slim bag weigh so little, ok, not a lot, but noticeable.
    Even my PC friend went with a smaller Dell 13.3", to make it easier to carry around.
    I need the larger screen, but still much easier than my old Dell.
    G

7. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, heatmiser and 7even. The Asus V6J and the Compaq 8510p are both fairly comparable to the MacBook Pro in specs and size. (The Asus V6V has a Celeron processor, so I didn't compare it) The Asus is a bit lighter, but the Compaq is thinner. They are both thicker that the MacBook Pro by at least 0.1". I think it is interesting to note that both of these PCs are about $1900 with a Core 2 Duo processor. If they were 0.4" thicker with all the same specs, they would cost more like $1300.

So apparently the MacBook Pro is priced competitively, so long as you only compare it to laptops which are thinner than 1.3". There seems to be a $600 "thin tax." I actually don't think thinness alone is worth that, but the Apple also gives you a nice OS, good industrial design, a camera, and a mic. Still, I might like it if the MacBook Pro was just a bit thicker and a bit cheaper.

8. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Are any PCs even thinner than the MacBook Pro?

Sure, 1.1" thick is impressive, and I couldn't find that on my own. Are any PCs even thinner? What if the search is expanded to include 14.1" screens? 13.3" screens? I personally can't find anything under 1.1", but I am bad at looking (or perhaps the stores and websites are bad at advertising). I will go to a PC laptop seller's website, and then I have to go searching through a labyrinth of pages to find the dimensions of each machine.

9. dtklamf macrumors regular

i think they're called Advent in the UK and Mitac everywhere else but they made a very maclike 15" notebook.silver and all.quite a good machine actually but i had that back in the days before intel processors.slot loading drive also,the whiteclearish keyboard