Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Like logmein.com or gotomypc.com is there anything for mac's that do the same stuff?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Apple's Remote Desktop?

Edit: Are you looking for a service where people can help you out or a program that you can help others with?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
What exactly do you want to log into, from where? Mac->Mac, Mac->PC, PC->Mac?

You can access a Mac running OSXVnc, with any VNC client on the accessing computer. You'll have to configure the firewall of the Mac hosting OSXVnc to allow access.

The same goes for accessing a PC, if it's XP Home and doesn't support RDC access. You can install a VNC server and access using any VNC client from any Mac, PC or Linux machine. The problem with VNC though, is that the server side quite slow on PCs and Macs. It's much better on Linux machines.

If you have a PC with XP Pro, you can configure it to allow remote desktop connections and access it with Microsoft's free RDC from a Mac or a PC. From Linux, you can use rdesktop (which also works really well on Macs, if you want to avoid using MS products).

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Thank you
I installed chicken of vnc and I do have the MS one that came with my pc. The question is how do I get chicken of VNC and the one on my PC to do this?

On my pc I would like to VNC connect to my mac and on my Mac i want to connect PC?
plinden said:
What exactly do you want to log into, from where? Mac->Mac, Mac->PC, PC->Mac?

You can access a Mac running OSXVnc, with any VNC client on the accessing computer. You'll have to configure the firewall of the Mac hosting OSXVnc to allow access.

The same goes for accessing a PC, if it's XP Home and doesn't support RDC access. You can install a VNC server and access using any VNC client from any Mac, PC or Linux machine. The problem with VNC though, is that the server side quite slow on PCs and Macs. It's much better on Linux machines.

If you have a PC with XP Pro, you can configure it to allow remote desktop connections and access it with Microsoft's free RDC from a Mac or a PC. From Linux, you can use rdesktop (which also works really well on Macs, if you want to avoid using MS products).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If I understood your post right, just follow plinden's advice.

On your PC, download and install VNC Viewer. Run that, type in your Mac's IP address, and you can remote control your Mac from your PC.

On your Mac, download and install "Remote Desktop Client" for Mac. Run it, give it your PCs IP address, and you can remote control your PC from your Mac.

You should be able to find out where to download both by doing a Google search for them. Both are free.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
aristobrat said:
If I understood your post right, just follow plinden's advice.

On your PC, download and install VNC Viewer. Run that, type in your Mac's IP address, and you can remote control your Mac from your PC.

On your Mac, download and install "Remote Desktop Client" for Mac. Run it, give it your PCs IP address, and you can remote control your PC from your Mac.

You should be able to find out where to download both by doing a Google search for them. Both are free.

Were do i find the IP address?

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
tbluhp said:
Were do i find the IP address?

I found out my IP also I have firewall on both pc and mac do I need to do anything special cause it taking long time to do it on a mac?

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
tbluhp said:
I found out my IP also I have firewall on both pc and mac do I need to do anything special cause it taking long time to do it on a mac?

I dont like these things they dont work it says IP address not found. On both machines anylike online services that do the trick like logmein.com but for mac users

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
well I have the two programs installed one on windows and one on a mac. I typed the IP address from the windows computer on my mac and nothing is happening same with the other way around? What should I do do I need to open any thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.