Do they replace uMB screens with better ones now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thadoggfather, Jan 2, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

My mom has a uMB (got it months before announcement of 13" uMBP at WWDC last year), and the screen on it is bad. Do they now replace the screens with better ones like the ones used in the last run of uMB and now uMBP's?

Just wondering more than anything, I don't think she sees the screen as bad at all so it's likely we won't even get it replaced...

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yes, they'll replace it with whatever compatible screens they have in stock. ie, the later ones or the latest ones. But they won't just change it because you don't like it, they'll change it if there's a problem.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

^ well the contrast is discernably not as good as any other uMBP or the latest uMB out there, but like I said, doesn't matter to me, it doesn't seem like my mom notices or cares. It's her computer, not mine. I was more just wondering for my own edification.

4. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Maybe go in and claim that the bad screen quality is interfering with your graphical design work? Inaccurate colors, etc? Seeing this thread, I just thought of that myself, and it wouldn't exactly be lying in my case.

Edit: Called up Applecare and did just that. Here's hoping I'll have a gleaming new, actually decent (I had a 9c89 on the original unibody) screen in ~10 days.

5. chill. macrumors 6502

wow! i wish i had done that, unfortunately my applecare has already expired

6. jmelick07 macrumors member

How likely would they be to replace my screen after owning the computer for a year (I have applecare)? I've always hated the screen but just assumed that they wouldn't do anything about it.

7. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

And they wont. The only way to change LCD panels is with a service diagnostic that gives a receipt to apple that the LCD panel is defective, if its not defective apple wont change it.

Its part of the anti fraud programs apple has thrown to us Geniuses since august.

8. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'd say unlikely, but the worst they can do is say no. Just go and speak to them about it, and say you don't believe the quality is good enough.

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Really? Weird.

10. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

yeah the hardmac articles are a little late to the scene but there are all kinds of service diagnostics for apple computers which are really helpful in order to repair the computers. the only problem is that it limits how much (we techs) can help costumers like in your situation.

11. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

So are you saying I should not send my Macbook in? I sort of doubt that they would send me back the exact same screen after going through all this trouble.

I sent in my iPod Video once because it would always get stuck on the "OK To Eject Disk" checkmark screen, which I now know is a problem, if you could call it that, with all iPod videos (in the software?), and they still ended up sending me an iPod with new innards in it. I would think they would do the same with the screen, even if there aren't problems.

Well, it's shipped off. I'll keep you guys updated.

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

13. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

After seeing the new 09 Unibody MB and comparing it to my 08 MB, I feel pretty comfortable saying the display (the glass one, which I had installed on my MB) is not part of the Unibody MB. A quick tap on either screen produces a much different noise (the glass screen producing a much more hollow sound than whatever the hell is in the UMP) would lead me to believe the glass/any decent screen is not a part of any UMP at this time. The glass screen i have on my MP is noticeably better and truer than the one on the UMP.

14. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Well, I got my Macbook back about an hour ago or so now, and they replaced the screen!

Before, I had the HORRIBLE 9c89 screen on my Late '08 unibody Macbook, which they replaced with the 9c8c. For those who are not aware, the 9c8c is the superior model that they began including in late November/December of the 2008 models, which is vastly superior to the 9c89. In other words, it's important to note that they didn't give me a screen from the latest unibody Macbook models.

Woo AppleCare!