Do they take holds?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arthursiew, Oct 13, 2008.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I am going to purchase a MacBook tomorrow, assuming that they will be in stores. Do you guys think that the MacBook will be all sold out by the time I have my Personal Shopping Reservation at 7PM? Do you guys think that the Apple Store will take holds until 7PM if I call them right after the Apple Store website is back. Thanks. Sorry if this post came up before.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, I don't think they would. Also, I doubt they'd be in stores tomorrow.

3. Apple? macrumors member

have new laptops generally been for sale in stores on the same day they are announced?

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

No, they have not.

5. youssefm macrumors 6502

i just called the apple store, and i have a friend who is a manager at the west 14th apple store in Manhattan and he said they have plenty in stock

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Ha... Uhh... Were talking about the late 2008 model which has yet to be released.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If any Apple Store had new models, there would be leaks of the entire model, not just the upper case.

8. youssefm macrumors 6502

but they can't open the boxes for the store stock.. so how would there be leaks. the leaks would have to come from the factory before they are boxed.. also the rumors that they were already shipping aren't technically rumors anymore, as they have shipped to stores, but cant be opened until the 14th

9. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Excluding the MBA, Apple usually has notebooks available the day they are launched. YMMV as to stock levels of particular models, but generally they are available.

10. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    If they were in stores all around the world, surely somebody would have opened one are at least posted the box/specs! :rolleyes:

11. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

youssefm, do you know whether they take holds or not? Thanks.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd be kinda impressed if they sold out of a laptop.

This isn't some hot new gadget it...its a update of a laptop, which will very cool, shouldn't get the none Apple fans in a move. For many computer are "big purchases" which are saved up too, so while many here have planned it out, not all will be that smart.

Plus you won't get many impluse buys like you can with an iPod nano or the like.

So unless the have problems with supply, I'd guess you'll be fine.

That is all assuming there will be instore tomorrow, which isn't 100% by any means.

13. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

It is really up to the individual store. I know from personal experience that some stores will hold stock for a few hours while others won't. I wouldn't expect the machines to sell out immediately or if they do new stock will arrive quickly. You should be OK.

14. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Well... the store I'm heading to is like the closest store to Apple HQ. So I'm assuming that they will get a lot or enough until 7PM assuming they arrive tomorrow.

15. tkiss macrumors regular

IF they are released tomorrow, would you expect them to sell out quickly?

16. youssefm macrumors 6502

they wont hold a product for longer than a couple of hours, if even they do that. most likely they will tell you that there is enough stock or you need to head down and pick one up.. no holds

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

My store does take holds, but they aren't needed.

18. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I'm only thinking that they will be sold out quickly, because of the MacBook Air. When the Air was first revealed... many of them were sold out after the pre-orders. When the MacBook was first announced... did they sell out quickly?

19. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The MBA was a special case. Apple hyped the machine for several weeks before its release so there was pent-up demand. I wouldn't expect the same with new MBs or MBPs. When the original MB was released I was able to find stock in all 4 of the local Apple Stores late in the day.

20. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Thanks for all your help guys. This is going to be my first Mac... besides the iMac G3... I didn't even know what that really was until Vista came out. God, that was a pain, but thanks guys.

21. mac88 macrumors 6502

I believe they only hold a product for a few hours. Just my own experience though.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, the layaway window at Apple is always open ... has this sign that says exit. ;)