Do third party SSD break the warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beyonder, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Beyonder, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

Beyonder macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am planning to get the 2011 13" Macbook Pro. I don't plan on doing much heavy work, well maybe a little CS (Photoshop mainly). But other than that it would just be text processing, music recording and browsing. So I gather I can go with the i5 (entry level) model.

Then I have browsed this forum here for a while and thought I learnt that it is a good option then to later buy 3rd party SSD to upgrade the computer and install the OS (Snow Lion or Windows) on that SSD, so that everything can be accessed quickly. Am I right in that assumption or have I misunderstood that? I am thinking about the 3rd party SSD because atm it is so expensive to use Apple's own SSD offers (almost doubles the price of the computer by adding 256 GB SSD)!!

So, to get to the point: My idea was to purchase the entry level 13" Macbook pro with 320 GB HDD, and then, after a while find a cheap option to upgrade this to a 512 GB SSD from a 3rd part supplier. Is that a good idea, y'all think? When I asked at the store (not an apple store, mind you) they told me in Japan (where I am at) this is not possible, and doing so would void any apple care warranty. You can thus only purchase SSD directly from Apple.

So, I'd like to know if this is normal, or what a good option would be if one wanted to get the Macbook Pro now and then upgrade SSD later? What do you peoples do here?

Thanks for your opinions on this!

Beyonder (Yokohama)

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hello there.

fortunately, this wont break the warranty on your mac. its VERY easy to do. the only way you will void it is if you damage something during the upgrade process. so just be careful :)

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    You are correct Sir!:cool:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thank you, kind sir!

its basically the only answer i do know ;)

6. Beyonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Can HDD and SSD coexist?

Thank you all for your quick and precise replies. I very much appreciate it.

In that case, I am thinking to purchase a i5, 320gb HDD with 4GB Ram and then get 512 GB upgrade of SSD when I get a chance. Does this thinking make sense, in terms of getting an all-round good machine, or is there anything else I should rather go for? There are a few other questions I was wondering if anyone could share some insights about:

1. Is 8GB Ram a total overkilling of the machine in terms of heat?

2. Is it correct that the HDD and SSD can 'coexist', not that one'd have to take one out to put the other one in?

Thanks again for sharing information.

Cheers!
    Beyonder

7. Daytona 360 macrumors member

The heat generated by the memory will be insignificant compared to the heat generated by the CPU/GPU when under load. In your case 4 GB of RAM is probably enough, but more RAM never hurts ;)

The MBP only has 1 hard drive bay. If you want to have both a HDD and a SSD at the same time, you will need to remove the optical drive and replace it with a hard drive caddy such as the MCE OptiBay (or any other variants you can find on OWC or eBay).

8. iMackPro macrumors 6502

yep, its called an Optibay. I have just recently started to look into them. I will be purchasing one this summer. Right now my biggest problem is finding the fastest HDD that will fit into the mbp. Crazy amounts of storage isn't necessary for me. id much much rather have a very fast 700 gig vs a slow 3 TB. but i just stared looking and someone recommend a Hitachi vx3 or something. He said it was high in platter density? im not sure what that means yes but im checking it out in my spare time

If anyone knows of the fastest H D D let me know!!!

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

10. Beyonder thread starter macrumors newbie

arigato!

Realize that this is already history - looking at how fast things move in this forum - but nonetheless - thank you for your replies - it is very much appreciated!

Beyonder.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why does anyone "spend so much time" writing posts in response to questions that are asked? The purpose is to help people. That's why we're here.
    So who said anything about MRoogle?
    Ask the OP if it's wasted time:

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hi beyonder, sorry for the (very) late reply!

the machine will be an all rounder with the 320GB + 4GB RAM (the the everyday user). add in the 512GB SSD and it will SCREAM!

1. 8GB is not going to make any discernible difference in terms of heat for you, probably not even 1°C difference.

2. yeh, its already been answered - you basically put a caddy inside of your optical drive slot (pull the ODD out obviously) and put either the mechanical disk or the SSD in there. works very well and i know many [people that do this.

goodluck!