Do this happen to all Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucasBoy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. LucasBoy macrumors member

hey people, so i bought my mac on july 1st and now it is july 8th and my mac seems to be slower as the days go by. on the start up screen when i first got it i can type in my password and when it goes to my desktop the macintosh hd icon is already there and the tool bar at the top with the battery and time is already there too. but now when i log in it seems to take time to load the macintosh icon and the tool bar. i also bought AirPort Express the little accessory that plugs into the wall and lets you get wi fi off of and wireless air tunes and printing. when i bought that and set it up at home, i could click on safari and open my home page in less than a second and it goes for any other page too. but now it takes time to load and stuff and i am just wondering does this happen to any other macs or any body else? your mac getting slower than it use to be? any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. :apple:

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

When I first got my Mac Mini, everything loaded quite fast. The taskbar and the Macintosh Hd icon loaded very quick. Firefox took only 3 bounces to load. Now that I had my Mac Mini for over a month, everything takes slightly slower to boot.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No. I would open up Activity Monitor (Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor) and see some of the data it has to offer. As for web pages loading that could simply be your internet connection, but given the rest of your comments, I would see if the system is being bogged down. Also you might just need to reset the ram as that might be running low

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

They do become slower over time...the good news is, the first week is the only time when the speed drops like it has. It's a much slower process after that.

5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The more you put on the Mac the slower it will seem as well. Especially if you have stuff that runs in the background.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I've never had any of my Macs slow down over time including my new 13" MBP which I've had for over a week. There's no Registry like in Windows so there's no reason for it to slow down unless like someone else earlier mentioned that you need to reset the PRAM which does not need to be done often. Outside of resetting PRAM, the only other reason for slowing down is if the HDD has gotten too full. If it's more than 75% full then yes, it will begin to slow the system down as the HDD is trying to access available space to write to and retrieve files.

Always check Spotlight to see if it's indexing. It generally indexes the system on most restarts. If you see a glowing dot inside the Spotlight icon upon bootup then it's indexing and will slow down the machine until it's done.

7. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

i never installed any apps or programs on my mac and my internet connection is fine. my pc's internet seems to load faster than my mac's

8. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

also it seems to have gotten slower ever since i turned off blue tooth does that have anything to do with it?

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Did you acknowledge anything I mentioned?

10. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Tons of people claim macs don't slow down because of "no registries" or crap like that, but they're just bs'ing most of the time. There's no doubt that over a period of months you will notice programs that use to take 1 bounce now take 2 or 3.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe it's natural that your computer slowed down that much in just 7 days. So it sounds like you have some other problem.

11. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

HLdan what do you mean by the spot light?

and i'm not bs-ing because all i downloaded was oovoo, iAlertU, AppDelete and i delete all of them already

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

download and run onyx. It cleans up the computer a little by doing maintenance scripts. It might help.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Spotlight is the system search. It has to index the drive daily to make sure that the user is able to search for programs and files. The Spotlight icon is in the top right corner of the menu bar. It looks like a magnifying glass. Most times when you start up your Mac it will show a glowing dot inside of the magnifying glass. The glowing dot shows that it's indexing and it will slow your system while it's indexing. It can take as long as 1-2 minutes after startup.
    Spotlight is very handy for searching for most files and quick-launching of apps. Just click on the Spotlight icon and type in Safari, it will come up and you can click it to launch Safari. Spotlight also has a built-in dictionary, just type in a word. You can also use it as a calculator.

Don't listen to anyone on this forum who calls other posters liars. They don't know anything they are talking about.

14. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Have you downloaded a lot or added any startup software. If you want you could try deep freeze it will keep speed up!

15. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

i only downloaded 3 apps and non of them opens at start up except oovoo and i already deleted it

16. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

are you saying that when spotlight is indexing at it can make the macintosh HD icon and the taskbar to lag a little at times instead of how it was when i just got it?

17. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I own a few Macs as well as some Windows systems and Safari is definitely slower for me (4.x is even slower). Firefox is faster. Firefox on my game filled PC laptop is faster too. However, raw speed isn't why I own a Mac. For my work I need a system that never fails and is always ready when I need it. I can't afford a MacPro so a Mini and a uMBP will have to do. Both are solid and while a bit slower on some tasks, I prefer the Macs to my Windows system for everything except games.

Cheers,

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I think it might be psychological. The thought of a fresh install versus what ever.

19. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

well me too but i don't work yet the reason i bought a mac is i want a computer that can hold all my files and music and pictures all the important stuff while the same time being able to be fast online and a macbook pro is in that category

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Open your Activity Monitor, sort by CPU - descending, grab a screenshot, attach to this thread, and let us have a look.

21. dlo604 macrumors member

I would have to say that for every Windows Based PC and uMBP or MBP or MB would be relatively slower. Even though you haven't downloaded applications, have you downloaded movies or "backed up" DVD's? Are you running BootCamp or any programs like that? If it's really bugging you I would suggest bringing it back to the Apple store or any store which you bought it from to see if they can figure out what the problem is.

22. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

No, I didn't set up any back up files or downloaded movies. The computer asks me to set it up but I just click cancel. It doesn't bug me much but I would just want to know what is causing the problem. :apple:

23. dlo604 macrumors member

When you say the computer is asking you to set it up, what do you mean by that exactly?

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

From the time you opened up the box and set up your Mac, did you transfer files from one another computer to this new one? Did you use Migration Assistant or transfer files from another PC/Mac in any such way?

25. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

No I never transfered anything from another PC or Mac to my MacBook Pro.