Do Time Capsule Problems Exist Still?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by realph, Jan 30, 2011.

1. realph macrumors regular

Hey there,

Just wondering if the Time Capsule problems are still an issue in the new model? My friend wants to buy my Time Machine off me, and I was thinking of upgrading to a Time Capsule, I need to start backing up my Mac and I'd like to go for an all-in-one device if it works.

Thanks in advance.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Why not get an Airport Extreme and hook up a WD Passport (or similar) drive via its USB port? Seems like you'd be pulling out an element of failure (the hard drive) from your router.

You'd be able to be flexible on how big the hard drive, and it'd be cheaper per TB than Apple's price I would think.

3. realph thread starter macrumors regular

I dunno, I'd prefer to have an all-in-one if possible, more space on my desk I guess. If the Time Capsule's are reliable that is.

4. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I have exactly same question. Personally I think as long as you dont use your time capsule as a time machine and back up your information manually will work better.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We won't know until the revised models start hitting the 18-24 month age where the first ones started dropping like flies.

It's generally a poor excuse for a NAS. Great if you use it for a router that supports Time Machine though and have a second form of backup.

B

6. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

This is always a good idea, regardless of hardware. A backup can fail, and it's always good to have redundancy to reduce data loss. If you want your data to be truly secure, you should also keep an off-site backup.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The good news is that Time Capsule provides an easy way to do this.

Connect a UsB drive to the TC and hit Archive in Airport Utility.

B

9. lvm3912 macrumors newbie

Micro Center

I just got a time capsule today- if there is a micro center near you, buy from them. You can get a two year warranty for only $30, and I believe it covers failures. This is much cheaper than Apple Care (not even sure if it's available for time capsule purchase alone) and covers more.

10. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have had my Time Capsule for three months now, about two weeks ago something went wrong. It was that internet disconnected but it was still connected and all. A quick reset of the machine and it worked fine again. That is the only problem I have had.

I don't use the hard drive for Time Machine though, I use it just as an external hard drive and then I have a 2 TB Seagate hard drive connected to it via USB hub so that a couple computers all back up to it.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've had the new one for about 14 months already. No problems at all so far, so keeping the fingers crossed...:)

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

My old model Time Capsule bought 14-03-2008 just died.:( Took it to the aMac store here in Holland. Getting replacement Saturday.:)

13. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

after reading million reviews I got mine from newegg for $268 shipped. Looks like all problems is about previous generation...

Time capsule, looks like the best solution for back up and network hard drive and at the same time its a good router...