Do two Parallels coherence programs count as two VMs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Delta32, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Delta32 macrumors newbie

Hi there, very new to Mac (don't own one yet), and I've been watching instructional videos for parallels desktop 9. I had a question though; let's say I run Windows 8.1 through parallels, with the 'like a mac' mode, where programs appear on the Mac side as well. If I have two Windows programs open in coherence mode (each their window on the osx desktop) does it count as two VMs? (does it need to virtualize Windows 8.1 twice?)

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

No, it's just one.

In my experience though, Coherence works better in theory than in practice. It's slow, windows don't move or resize well.

Instead I just run it full screen - you can have several virtual screens on a Mac and you can swipe between them with the trackpad. When you run Parallels that way, it runs Windows very well.

This is my Windows Experience Index score on my Mac Pro... but even on my I5 MacBook Air it scored a respectable 5.4... and "boots" up in 17 seconds.

Note: this is Windows 7, not 8.1. No interest in learning or using Windows 8.1

Attached Files:

3. Delta32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that answer.
    Shame about coherence mode, as it is a great idea. I can see how your solution works though, it's just not as slick.

Fwiw, the Macbook I'm looking at is the pro 13 with 2.4ghz/8gbram/256gbsdd.

By the way, do you know how performance is when outputting HD video (.mkv for example) through hdmi in parallels? More specifically PotPlayer, as I prefer that to Vlc. (better wifi remote support in goldworm remote control)

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I have one of those arriving tomorrow.

Potplayer will probably work OK in a virtual machine, but I'd definitely look around for Mac-centric solutions to something as basic as watching videos - perhaps Mac Remote with VLC or MplayerX. You really don't want to have to fire up a virtual machine just to watch a video and the performance will never be as good as under OS X.

5. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Hi regarding playing video in Parallels you can make the video stored within the VM to play on a Mac video player, I often do this with items stored on a remote drive that works better from within Windows.