Do u think apple will release an iphone pro

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gooberq, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gooberq macrumors member

With all the hoopla about N8 and N9

12 MP camera
    USB on the go
    HDMI output

Do u think apple will release a iphone pro just like Mac Book Pro with some advanced features making two different product lines iphone and iphone pro with two different price points.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I can't see this happening anytime soon, if not ever.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

While I can easily see a 'nano' iPhone, (smaller, a more limited feature set than a future iPhone (yet probably better than current iPhones) for $99) I cannot see a 'Pro' version.

So you are talking about a phone that will end up costing as much as an iPad, with a smaller screen and probably lesser abilities? Doesn't sound like a move they would make.

5. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither do I.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple already offers two iPhones. They just don't call the better one the 'pro.'

The "pro" is the current year's model. The "non-pro" is last year's model at a discount.

I know that's not what you meant, but that's their answer to your question. This arrangement works out well for them I can't imagine them changing it.

For starters, you're asking them to make the BEST iPhone the one with the smaller market. The current system makes the best phone the most popular. Under your system you basically get: "Hey, all you people buying iPhones...most of you don't have the best one! Ha ha, suck it!"

This works with laptops and desktop machines because people realize that professionals need (and will pay for) more powerful computers than you need at home. That makes sense. "Yeah, I know there's a $4,000 Mac Pro out there, but this iMac is just fine for me, thank you!"

But mobile phones are different. People won't like the idea of buying a second-rate cell phone just because they can't afford a $1,200 phone. The existence of such a phone actually makes the regular $700 iPhone look worse because now it's no longer the best iPhone out there.

Steve loves to get up and say that the iPhone is the best phone on the market. (Never mind if there's some other phone that's better, he can ignore that easily enough.) But with an iPhone Pro, he couldn't say that anymore. He'd be robbed of his best pitch for the phone that 90% of his customers are going to buy. It would make a lot of people shop elsewhere. "Well, I certainly can't afford the best iPhone, so maybe I should buy the best Android phone..."

That's the textbook defintion of shooting yourself in the foot.

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

That'd sound extremely pompous. MacBook Pro is already bad enough.