Do universal apps import data from iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm excited about getting my first iPad this Friday!!!

But I'm wondering... I have a lot of universal apps on my iPhone. Will all the data that I have automatically sync to my iPad?

I'm playing Infinity Blade and I wanted to make sure then I can pull it up on my iPad and continue right where I left off! I would assume that in order to keep the two devices up to date with each other I would need to sync them together through iTunes, which would get really annoying if I want to use my iPad while at home, and my iPhone while I'm out...

I hope iOS 5 (or mobileme) incorporates a system wide method of keeping your iphone and ipad apps in sync wirelessly :)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

even when I sync through iTunes?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No.

unless you restore your iPad using your iPhone Back-up (or vise-versa), but even then it won't synchronize in the future. You have to consider your iPhone and iPad as two separate devices.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iTunes only syncs media (video, music, podcasts, etc). App data don't sync. Some devs have built ways for their apps to sync data with other devices, but I don't think Infinity Blades is one of them.

You could restore your iPhone backup to your iPad, and start off from there. But your iPhone and iPad would diverge from each other after that point.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

oh man. Apple really needs to fix that in iOS 5.

7. redbill macrumors newbie

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's not completely true. iTunes does sync app data when it backs up. If you restore your iPad from your iPad backup all your app data is moved to the restored device. Unfortunately you can't sync your app data to a different iOS device you own.

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Would doing this possibly have any adverse effects on my iPad, iPhone, apps, or anything? From then on the iPad would create it's own backup and the iPhone would still have it's own? I just wanna make sure it wouldn't cause the two devices to step over each other in some weird way...

I assume doing this would load ALL my iPhone apps onto my iPad and then I would have to manually remove ALL the iPhone only apps and then add all the iPad apps (that I have already downloaded in iTunes ready to install!)

10. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

it will probably keep your high score, but you would still have to start over.

Like now if you delete an app and redownload it. Your old high score will still remain, but you would have to rebeat everything.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

After the first setup, each device would do its own thing. No weird stepping over each other.

Yes, I suppose if you restore your iPad from an iPhone backup, all iPhone apps would load onto the iPad. But you can sort the apps by kind (iPhone, iPad, Universal) in the iTunes app tab, so it shouldn't be that hard to unselect all of your iPhone apps to delete them off the iPad.

12. ghayenga macrumors regular

Apple can't fix it because it's not broken. That's not something Apple should do.

The game designer should implement that functionality, and some do.

13. foiden macrumors 6502a

The game developers also have the ability to make save files transferable in iTunes (outside of doing the whole save file cloud-transfer method). For instance, the adventure game Beneath a Steel Sky uses this method, allowing the user to use iTunes to copy off their save file, and can use it to transfer that save file to another device.

14. meder87 macrumors regular

I was going to ask about this on here and my worst fear has come true. Well this is really depressing. I've done so much on Infinity Blade on the iPhone :( I guess it'll be a fun challenge to go back through and do it all over again...

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well lets not be picky with terminology. Just as many people say that Apple needs to "fix" notifications or "fix" xyz. The notifications aren't exactly broken, they just suck and need to be improved.

And which is easier to do, force every developer to come up with their own individual method of syncing info. Or create a universal system that is either automatic, or something simple that the dev can just opt in to. For example gamecenter is a universal system that the dev can opt in to then your scores are automaticallys saved, synced etc.

Or you can restore using your iphone back-up. That's probably what I will do.

16. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Is there a downside to restoring a new iPad from an iPhone backup?

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

look at post #11

18. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Oh, I just realized something. my iPhone 4 has about 22GB of data on it, but I am only planning on purchasing a 16GB iPad... issues with restoring from that backup?

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

only the "other" data gets backed-up and transferred to your other device, not the entire 22gb (unless you have 22GB of other).

20. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

backup from iPhone...

well maybe I won't do backup my new ipad from my iphone data.

I was just searching through my universal apps and it seeems all of them have a log in that I can do except for Infinity Blade (well maybe 2do, but it has a sync function that I think should allow what I want)

I don't think I want to go through all the effort just to save my infinity blade data. Also, now I'm a bit worried that it might make my iPad run slower. Because I know everyone on here always raves about restoring as new to make their iDevices "snappier"...