Do unsubsidized no contract 3Gs iPhones require Activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orbitalpunk, Jun 28, 2009.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

Hi there,

Can any confirm that it is possible to buy a unsubsidized iphone at an ATT store for $599 and walk right out the store without signing up for any service?

My second question is if the phone is already activated or does still require some kind of activation thru itunes.

I know its carrier locked which is fine. I was hopping to buy one and just pop in my ATT pay as you go sim and work without requiring some kind of itunes activation.

Any input will greatly be appreciated,
    Thanks guys.

2. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

In the UK they do. I bought a Pay as you Go 3GS on Friday.

To activate it needed a specific iPhone sim card. From then on it was fine with other O2 sim cards.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

The UK Pay and Go iPhones are still locked to 02 so need the 02 sim. I used my iPhone 3G sim when i bought my pay and go sim to activate it.

4. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

How about peoples experience in the US? Im in cali :)

5. samven582 macrumors 6502a

no you do not have to activate it at the store if you are buying at the unsubsidized price. I bought mine at the apple store.

6. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

But will the phone require some kind of itunes activation and sign up or can I just put my att prepaid sim right in and work out of the box?

7. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

ok, so I called ATT and they said that it will still require some kind of activation thru itunes and said that a pre-paid number/sim would not do it. He did say tho that if i could find someone with a normal plan, that I could activate it with that sim and and then take it out and put the prepaid sim and it should work. and activation is a one time thing so the phone would never need reactivating again thru itunes.

Can anyone share any similar experiences? I just dont wanna play $600 for a paper weight.

8. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

could I buy the no contract phone with a no contract normal phone plan and then have it activated in itunes then later cancel my normal plan and Use my prepaid sim then. would my phone still require a new activation if cancel the normal plan or once its activated once, it never needs activating again?